Chapter 39

Quote for the chapter:

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." 

— Albert Camus

_________________________________

Chloe walked toward her class quickly. Although there was still a thirty minutes break before her last class starts, she didn't want to be disturbed by her friends, especially Vanessa. She wanted to finish the book she bought. She tried to talk it out with the bookstore owner but was told that the book is indeed effective and she had much evidence. Chloe was forced to go home empty-handed. She didn't want to pester the owner anymore. She has learned that she needs to be considerate. Chloe found her past self very intimidating and cold-hearted, no wonder everyone was so afraid of her. She didn't want to be that kind of person anymore.

Chloe laid her bag on the table and grabbed out the book. She was now on chapter thirteen and the last chapter before the summary.

Chapter thirteen. Know When to pull away. After using all the other twelve steps, you should consider this final step. It is crucial so be careful when you use it. It could either make your relationship better or worse. It has to be at the right time. Pull away when she is getting to be comfortable around you and your presence. If this goes on, she would only think of you as a friend and you don't want that.

Chloe closed the book. Foolish. She didn't want to read any more of it. Natalie's indeed getting too comfortable with her, but it had just been weeks. She felt that she was being too pushy about it. She doesn't need the help of some books. She smiled as she peeked in her bag. There was a box she made for Natalie's birthday gift. Everyone had greeted Natalie already, and even though they had a class a while ago and had lunch together, she only greeted Natalie nonchalantly that even her friends were facepalming in their mind. She just happened to have finished the box. Many had given Natalie roses which she knew that Natalie didn't quite fancy. Some gave Natalie a gift card for the Louis Viton brand. Unlike her classmates, she wasn't as rich as them, so she could only give Natalie this much. She even increased her leadership talk session to just earn money. She couldn't use her savings since it was used to help her father pay for their insurance so that her family would be insured when they get old. Her father and her mother were already fully paid. The only ones that were left were Brian's and hers.

Chloe prepared a beautiful box wrapped with black with yellow flower petal designs complemented by a black yellow ribbon. Inside the box, she prepared a poem for Natalie and even a small canvas painting of her. Chloe had never told anyone even her parents, that she enjoyed painting. There was also a scented candle that had a similar vanilla scent of Natalie's. She stumbled upon it accidentally. A familiar scent lured her into buying the scented candle. Aside from the poem, canvas, and scented candle, there was also a key. She hoped that Natalie would like it. It did take her weeks just to finish it.

Unknown to Chloe, her fellow classmates were distancing from her because Chloe looked as if she was about to murder someone if they disturbed her. The teacher who came in avoided Chloe's eyes and started the class. Even though she was quite frightened at Chloe, she still had a job to do. And, it's to start the class without being looked at by Chloe.

Chloe's classes ended successfully, and she was excited to give Natalie her birthday gift. She went to the gym to meet Natalie. There was still no exception for skipping practices even if it's Natalie's birthday. She could only hope that I'll end earlier than expected. After all, it's almost Christmas Eve. They won't have classes from the 24th of December until the 6th of January. She wanted to spend time with Natalie as soon as possible before she went to London. Every Christmas, almost the whole school would go back to their home country to celebrate Christmas. Only some scholars like her who are based here don't travel. She won't be able to spend time with Natalie if that happens. Maybe she could surprise Natalie if she went to London to meet her, but surely that would cost her a lot and Natalie won't be happy about it even if she did use her own hard-earned money.

She arrived at the gym and Natalie was still nowhere to be found. She sat on the bench to wait for Natalie. She looked up when she saw someone's shadow. It was from Christine. She remembered Christine. She was Natalie's friend who she remembered has a flexible body.

At first, she was only interested in Natalie, but she found that the rest of the cheerleading team was also worth observing, especially Christine.

" You must be Christine, right? The vice-captain?" Chloe said with a slight smile. She learned that smiling at people will make her less intimidating according to Natalie.

Christine was utterly shocked when Chloe said her name and the fact that Chloe knows that she's the vice-captain. She initially had thought that Chloe's an egoistic narcissist that didn't care about others and only about herself. The Chloe in front of her is nothing like the one who used to visit a couple of months ago. She surely liked this one better.

" I never thought you'd remember me much less know that I'm the vice-captain," Christine said with a hint of amusement.

" I didn't know, but you're too good at cheerleading for Coach Samuel to pass on you. Besides, you've got a way more flexible body compared to Natalie." Chloe said with a grin.

Christine felt bashful. She never thought that Chloe would observe her and would even notice that she's very flexible. She doubts that her fellow teammates even noticed, well, except for Natalie since she was the one who informed her of her hidden talent.

" You're nicer than you look," Christine said as she sat beside Chloe.

"Oh, do be careful. I bite." Chloe said with a wink then laughed.

Christine laughed also. Who would have thought that Chloe was such a flirt if she wanted to? But she was sure that Chloe months ago was the real her, so Christine could only assume that Chloe's changed a little.

"What brings you here? I've always wanted to ask why you suddenly one day just keep on visiting our practice?" Christine asked.

Chloe didn't mind if Christine knows. Maybe Christine would even help her out with Natalie. It wouldn't be too bad if she grumbles this chance. Christine also seemed nice. She might be able to trust her. Just because she will tell her the truth that doesn't mean that she'll tell her the whole truth.

"I'm just here for Natalie. And recently, I'm observing the team as a whole." Chloe said, crossing her legs.

" Oh really? So now we're interested enough for our dear pres to take interest in us huh?" Christine said. She fiddled with her fingers immediately after, regretting to have used an improper tone towards the Ice Queen. She feared that Chloe might snap at her.

To her surprise, Chloe chuckled again.