Chapter 48

Quote for the chapter:

"If something is important enough, even if the odds are stacked against you, you should still do it."

 – Elon Musk

_________________________________

Natalie handed her the tissue paper. After the blood from her nose, she rolled the tissue paper and stuck in her nostrils to prevent more blood coming out. She can't believe she was so aroused by the thought of Natalie's bare skin on hers, made her nose bleed. That has never happened before. She looked over at Natalie who's cheeks were flushed pink. Chloe's face became hotter than flames and her heart raced. She pursed her lips. Shit. Chloe thought. Natalie knows why her nose suddenly bled. This couldn't get more embarrassing.

"Woah. You two. I'm getting shy." A familiar voice said as she waltzed inside Natalie's room.

Jevon smirked. His hands-on his waists with a confident standing position. Chloe could just sigh. Of all the people she knew, it just had to be Jevon, the ex-boyfriend, that saw her in this state. This is getting more embarrassing for her to handle.

"Stop teasing her. We're not like that." Natalie said towards Jevon. She didn't want Jevon to misunderstand.

Chloe's heart fell a thousand miles down. Her heart ached as if being stabbed by millions of swords. Did Natalie reject her already? When? She wasn't informed of that. All she knew is that she's still pursuing Natalie. Is that a way for Natalie to indirectly imply that she's not interested in dating Chloe? Chloe clenched her hand into a fist. She must tear up. She didn't want to disturb the jolly Christmas of the Hughes family by doing so. No matter how she tried to move on, it seems like their proximity is only making her miserable and unable to move on. Chloe told herself repeatedly to confront Natalie after Christmas whether she still stood a chance to win her heart or not. If Natalie would give her a second chance, she wouldn't mind to gamble it; however, her self-esteem when it comes to wooing Natalie is decreasing day by day.

Jevon's smile disappeared, his eyebrows pinched revealing wrinkled lines on his forehead. He glanced at Chloe. Chloe's mouth twitched. Why was Jevon looking at her? Does he know what's going on? Was he pitying her? He had a hurt-looking expression on his face. Chloe honestly didn't know how to respond to him but managed to curve a smile from her lips.

"Sorry about that," Jevon said, giving Chloe a sad look.

Chloe arched an eyebrow. What's up with him? Chloe thought. Is there something she doesn't know? Moreover, why isn't Jevon angry that she's with his previous girlfriend. Isn't he at least a bit jealous?

"Say, Chloe, want to check out the karaoke room?" Jevon said.

Chloe nodded. Natalie gave up arguing with Jevon. Chloe knows that she can't compare to Jevon who's been Natalie's childhood and best friend. Well, there's no use in getting jealous, but she won't deny that she wasn't hurt.

They arrived in the karaoke room shortly after. It was located on the lower floor — in the basement. This is the fanciest basement Chloe has ever seen — there's even a couch larger than hers in the basement. There's also a bar section. There's even a chandelier hanging from the wall and a huge tv screen.

Jevon sat beside Chloe and gave her the song list. Chloe didn't know what to pick so she handed it back to Jevon who picked out all the songs they were going to sing. Natalie sang first. It was a jolly and happy song by Taylor Swift called Me! Chloe and Jeavon jammed to the song. Natalie's voice cracking. Chloe was surprised that Natalie's voice was soothing despite it. The next song came and Jevon handed the microphone. One of the features of Natalie's karaoke machine is to make the song anonymous. Chloe's palms were sweaty as she held the microphone. A familiar song comes on. So Suddenly by This Band Rocks was the next song. Chloe gulped. Some lyrics quite relate to her except for the reciprocated love. She glanced at Jevon to skip the song only to be ignored. Chloe was too nervous to even glare at him. She decided to ride Jevon's teasing acts instead.

"Hope was almost lost before my eyes

Life became hard

It became dull and full of lies

But then you swiftly caught my eyes

Sweeping me off my feet before my very eyes."  

Chloe sang, trying to avoid eye contact with Natalie and her voice starting to crack.

"So suddenly I was caught by you

So suddenly giving all your love to me

Only by everything you simply do

With this love so real

So suddenly you took my heart too.

I've always wondered how it feel

I've always tried to be real

But it became different when it comes to you

It became so easy and so sudden

That all I could think about you." 

Chloe relaxed a bit at that part. She did wish Natalie would reciprocate similar to the song. Chloe swears that she'll strangle Jevon when she. She got comfortable in the long-run and managed a smile after all she managed to sing until the end.

She handed the microphone to Jevon who was singing to his heart content. She stole a glance at Natalie — whose face has fallen. Chloe's eyebrows formed a distraught triangle. Was Natalie angry at her for singing the song? It must have because of the lyrics. Natalie must have thought that the song was implying to her. She needed to explain to Natalie that she wasn't — now.

Chloe scooted closer to Natalie whose eyebrows were still furrowed. Chloe bowed her head for a while before mustering the courage to explain to Natalie.

" It wasn't about you," Chloe said, stuttering. She pursed her lips. She stutters now, just great.

Natalie's eyebrows remained furrowed, now with her forehead forming thin lines and said with a hint of anger, " I know."

Chloe looked at Natalie with a smile. She seemed to not have hinted the anger in Natalie's voice. Her eyes lit up. Now that the misunderstanding is gone, she and Natalie were cool now.

"Really? That's great. You're not angry anymore, right?" Chloe asked.

"Sure. Come on let's leave him. Dinner's about to be served." Natalie said, she managed to curve up her lips to a smile.

"What about Jevon? Isn't he going to join us?" Chloe asked. Despite wanting to strangle him, it has to wait.

"Oh, he has a flight to catch. Let's go." Natalie said, grabbing Chloe's hand slowly with a hint of flirtation.

Chloe seemed to not have sensed the intentions of Natalie and grabbed it right away. A frown from in Natalie's face. 

Her mood seemed to have shifted, and Chloe didn't know why.