Chapter 24

Quote for the chapter:

"It's crazy how I'm in love with you."

-C. Harker

_____________________________________

"Shit. I'm sorry. I shouldn't-" Chloe managed to utter.

"As far as I know, you were enjoying it," Natalie said as she fixed her nightgown.

"I did. Hell, I wanted more. I shouldn't since you're with Jevon." Chloe finally said with her eyes closed.

Chloe felt vulnerable to Natalie. She didn't want this to be a one-night stand with Natalie and go on being her friend. It's a good thing they were able to stop before they had sex. If they did, Chloe wouldn't be able to just be friends with Natalie. The thought of Natalie being in Jevon's arms made her heartache. I'm already falling hard for her. Chloe thought.

"Oh. Yeah. Jevon." Natalie said as if she had forgotten that she is dating someone.

"Fuck! I-I don't want to be friends with benefits with you. I don't do that. I don't do this kind of stuff without-" Chloe sighed and creased her face.

Chloe didn't want to say it. She knew that if she said it, she wouldn't be able to feel Natalie's peaceful life again. She won't be able to have Natalie in her arms again. It's still better than only having Natalie at night. Chloe convinced herself. She deserves better than being someone's mistress. If she wasn't in love with Natalie, she might have stormed off and never talked to her again, but she wouldn't be able to do this towards Natalie. Being friends would still be better. She just needs to keep her feelings in check.

"This isn't going to ever happen again. Not when you want to start a relationship with me." Chloe said as she opened her eyes and looked at Natalie. Natalie remained silent and avoided her gaze.

Chloe felt a pang on her heart. She never thought that it would hurt this much. She is fascinated with Natalie. There's no need to deny the obvious. Without knowing what was happening, her eyes became blurry, and tears started to fall. She should stop feeling this way since depressing thoughts would appear again in her head. She then thought of Jevon kissing Natalie before she was even in the picture. The way Jevon is making love to Natalie made her tears fall faster, and before she knew it, she was already crying.

Natalie ran towards her with a handkerchief upon seeing Chloe crying this hard. Chloe wasn't the kind of person who would call, and the fact that she's the reason for Chloe's tears made her heartache. She felt terrible, especially it's her jealousy that started this all.

Chloe accepted Natalie's handkerchief and wiped her tears. She felt exposed to Natalie. She's never cried in front of anyone. She's really in love with Natalie, and it's hurting her. Her rational side is telling her to avoid Natalie, but her heart tells her to still be friends with Natalie since being away from Natalie would also hurt her. This is the first time she's this conflicted from within.

They went back to bed, and it looks like the movie has already ended. It was silent for a moment until Chloe spoke again after she regained her composure.

"So, how did you and Jevon meet? You've been dating ever since the start of freshman year, right? It's incredible. I've known many who weren't able to stand to be in a three-year relationship." Chloe said, regretting why she even chose this kind of topic, to begin with.

Natalie raised her eyebrow, "You seriously going to ask that?"

Chloe nodded. She may have been hurt, but she still needs to know if she has a chance or not. She believed that if Natalie loved Jevon, she wouldn't have had a make-out session with her. Not to mention how Jevon's constantly flirting with others. If there's even a tiny chance, she will grab it. Her rational side is already beating her up for this. Chloe wanted to laugh at herself. To think she thought the people in love were foolish. It seems that she's the fool of them all.

"We're childhood friends. He's also my best friend." Natalie said. She sighed and continued, "Three years ago, I was almost raped by someone who's my friend. Ever since then, I was never the same. I would have sudden outbursts whenever I felt threatened. I went to therapy, and my therapist said that it's all because of the trauma that I was acting that way. It was worse at first, but because of Jevon, my condition improved." Natalie smiled.

Chloe smiled back and hugged her.

"Hey, it's okay. I guess you felt threatened by me, huh?" Chloe pulled away.

"I'm not that scary, you know." Chloe continued, which made Natalie laugh.

"Sure, sure. You're such a softie tiger." Natalie said.

Chloe felt terrible about what she thought a while ago. She would never steal Natalie from Jevon, not when he helped improve Natalie's condition. It looks like her position in Natalie's heart would be friends only. She decided not to ponder about it anymore. Indeed, love is foolish, and this was a lesson to her. Since when did she do love?

"Sounds like you love him," Chloe said.

"Yes, I do," Natalie said. Chloe would be lying if she said that she wasn't hurt.

"It's complicated." Natalie continued.

"I won't pry," Chloe said. She should stop before her heart would be crushed again. Chloe yawned. She was already sleepy. Natalie closed the lights, and in just a few minutes, Natalie fell deep into sleep. Chloe turned to Natalie, who was facing her.

"It's crazy how I'm in love with you," Chloe mumbled and turned her back towards Natalie before falling asleep. Unknown to Chloe, Natalie's lips twitched.