Chapter 41

Quote for the chapter:

"Perform a random act of kindness for someone: a smile, compliment, or a favor just for fun. These will multiply and spread very quickly."

 – Steven Brunkhorst

_________________________________

"I- My mind was preoccupied. I was waiting for your gift. Vanessa and Alice both gave me one, and they told me that you usually gave them their birthday gifts too so I wondered why you didn't give me one. I'm sorry I shouldn't have just assumed because you were pursuing me before, you'd still be interested in me." Natalie confessed. Natalie tucked a strand of hair at the back of her ears.

Chloe felt her heart race. Natalie might not have noticed how she has this kind of effect on Chloe. Natalie was just probably jealous that her friend didn't give her a gift yet gave gifts to Alice and Vanessa. Chloe smiled slightly. Just seeing Natalie acting like this, gave her more hope. She might be a step forward towards making Natalie fall in love with her.

" Happy birthday," Chloe said as she grabbed something in her bag and handed it to Natalie.

Natalie's eyes widened with her eyebrows arched upward. She reached out and grabbed the elegantly looking box.

" I'll drive you home. You could open it there. You didn't call for your driver right?" Chloe asked as she reached for Natalie's hand.

Natalie shook her head and grabbed Chloe's hand. They both went inside the car. Chloe opened the heater. She felt warm air all around her body. Chloe never liked the cold air of winter.

Natalie opened the box and gasped. There was a beautiful painting of her. It was detailed yet has this sense of the artistic vibe. It has pinkish and purplish color tones that were used to color her skin. She looked so beautiful that even she couldn't compete with it. Is this how Chloe sees her? There she saw Chloe's autograph.

" You painted this?" Natalie asked, looking at Chloe.

Chloe felt bashful and began to play with her hair.

" It's just a hobby though. Don't tell anyone. Even my family don't know." Chloe said with a shy smile.

Natalie felt her heart accelerating. Was it because of Chloe or the painting?

She also saw a scented candle that smelled like vanilla. Wasn't that similar to how she smelled? The perfume and soap she uses? Natalie's ears become red at that thought. Chloe did notice things about her. How could she not when Chloe's pursuing her. Does that mean that Chloe's still pursuing her? That thought of it made her stomach feel weird in a good way. She then saw a paper folded. She opened it and saw a poem.

" Natalie H."

I felt an arrow of Cupid hit me,

When you suddenly smiled.

I felt hundreds of flowers come to life,

When you laughed in front of my eyes.

I felt strange inside,

When you held my hand.

I felt everything I've never felt before

As if you just waltz in my heart through the unopened door.

I felt emotions I never dared to care

As if waiting for you to share

I felt something bloomed within

As if waiting for our journey to begin.

Similarly lost inside the forest

You pulled me out of my distress.

As rough as the bark of the tree

Our journey was definitely tough.

This is just the beginning of the story,

The story of you and your wonderful deeds.

I'll keep my promise to pursue you,

Until then, I promise to only love you.

Chloe H.

Natalie read the poem again just to make sure she understood the message of Chloe's poem. Natalie felt her ears flushed hotter than before. Judging by the title of the poem, it's about her. Is this how she saw me? Natalie thought. I felt everything I've never felt before As if you just waltz in my heart through the unopened door. Natalie felt a smile on her face forming. It's just as the poem describes. Chloe started to change her perspective and attitude after she got to know Natalie. But what caught her attention the most is I'll keep my promise to pursue you, Until then, I promise to only love you. Did Chloe plan to pursue her until she finally answered yes? Isn't that kind of romantic? Natalie's face flushed red. She already is interested in Chloe but wasn't sure if it's only in a friendly manner or a romantic one.

Chloe tilted her head, oblivious to what was happening asked, "Is the heater too hot? Your ears are red, not to mention also your cheeks."

Natalie felt weird inside. How could she not notice? Chloe has been nicer and more understanding of these past couple of weeks, especially today. Chloe even volunteered to help their event. Natalie wanted to hide from Chloe, she was glad that Chloe was somehow dense. The poem wasn't that great, but she understood what Chloe meant. I'll pursue you until the end. Natalie thought. She knew cheesy guys who would write cheesy poems and give flowers in an attempt to woo a girl, but Chloe was just at a different level. Chloe really is the romantic type. Knowing Chloe, the painting, the scented candle, and the poem must have somehow reminded Chloe of her. She flushed at the thought of that. She was about to close the box when she suddenly saw something shiny. It was key. Natalie was confused. What is a key doing here?

"What is this?" Natalie asked as she showed Chloe the key.

Chloe grinned from ear-to-ear, "You finally asked."

Chloe started the engine.

"I'll show you," Chloe said. She drove away from their school and out of the town. Natalie was confused but she trusted Chloe enough to not do something towards her. They arrived after thirty minutes at the cottage house where Natalie had previously shown Chloe. The formerly dirty old and full of holes cottage house was now beautiful. It had fiery lights around it. It was also painted white making it more attractive.

"What is this?" Natalie asked.

"Happy birthday! I bought it from the owner and fixed it. Now, you can visit the beautiful sunset anytime and rest here if needed." Chloe said.

She grabbed Natalie's hand. She took the key from Natalie and opened the house. She turned the light on even the fiery lights which emitted beautiful purplish and white lights. The cottage looked beautiful outside. After seeing Natalie's amused face, she was sure Natalie liked it. She closed the fiery lights to save electricity. The inside of the cottage was cozy. Fit for a sleepover with friends. There were a sofa and a bed further in.

"Chloe, you didn't have to," Natalie said. She never thought Chloe would go as far as doing this for her.

"Consider this as a Christmas gift," Chloe said with a smile.

"How about a kiss? I did work hard for this." Chloe said with a grin, her heart accelerating despite her boldness.

Natalie rolled her eyes and leaned in. She pecked Chloe's cheeks. Chloe's sighed a little. Well, this would have to do.

Chloe drove Natalie home shortly. Despite Natalie's protest that she couldn't accept her gift, Chloe was as stubborn as she was if she didn't wield it. Natalie promised that she'll return the favor of Chloe's when they meet at the event next week. Chloe did promise that she'll pursue Natalie, and of course, she needs to do it wholeheartedly.