Chapter 42

Quote for the chapter:

"Spread the love wherever you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier." 

– Mother Teresa

_________________________________

Chloe arrived at the orphanage next town. The cheerleading team and the volunteer club were already there. Chloe sighed. How could her fellow student council be late? She barely even made it in time.

"Darling!" Natalie said as she hugged Chloe. Chloe's face froze, then her ears flushed. She awkwardly hugged Natalie.

"Aren't you adorable?" Jevon said, making a heart shape towards Natalie and Chloe with his hands.

Everyone in the room was surprised. They initially thought that Jevon would be jealous or somehow irritated, but they never thought that Jevon would ship them together. Natalie let go of Chloe who was looking at Natalie with longing eyes.

"Don't mind me. Natalie, look at what you've done! Chloe's looking sad now." Jevon said, pretending to be sad.

After hearing Jevon teasing Natalie, Chloe initially thought that Jevon was bullying Natalie because of their break-up, and glared coldly at Jevon which made Jevon stiff. Everyone in the room felt a chill down their spine. Everyone even Christine thought that the old Chloe was back and avoided looking straight at Chloe out of reflex. Natalie who sensed what was happening felt that she needed to show the real reason why Chloe suddenly turned cold. She looked at Jevon who was asking for help. She sighed. She needs to smack some sense to Jevon.

"Chloe. It's alright. Jevon's not bullying me." Natalie said.

Jevon looked at Natalie weirdly and confused. Did Chloe think that I was bullying Natalie? The fuck! That was sooo cute!! Jevon thought, suppressing his urge to squeal.

"He isn't?" Chloe asked, innocently with a soft expression.

"If he does, I'll kill him," Natalie said.

"Hey! I'm still here you know." Jevon said, feeling forgotten.

Chloe glared at him again.

Jevon raised both of his hands, his eyebrows arched upward, "I'm not bullying her! See!"

Natalie pinched Chloe's cheek who had her eyebrows pinched out of confusion. Natalie was really surprised at how Chloe would act sometimes. Chloe did change. She showed different types of expression compared to before. Although her old habits would sometimes resurface, especially when Natalie is threatened. She was ready to threaten someone who insults her. She found it cute. The others were shocked at how Natalie was able to casually just pinch Chloe's cheeks, more so at how Chloe acted towards Natalie.

"Now stop frowning," Natalie commanded.

" Bwah yoo pwinching mwee." Chloe struggled to say.

Natalie let go while Chloe was creasing her cheeks looking like she was extremely wronged and harassed which made even the whole team surprised at how Chloe acted. Some tears were forming from the corners of Chloe's eyes. Natalie felt guilty.

"Hey. I'm sorry darling. Here, pain, pain go away." as Natalie blew at the cheeks of Chloe and gave her a peck on the cheek.

"How does it feel now?" Natalie asked.

Chloe smirked cheekily, " Worth the pain."

Natalie blushed as she felt played. She couldn't believe how sly Chloe could be, and she couldn't believe how she just walked into the trap that Chloe set. They acted as if they were the only ones in the room. Despite how afraid the others were, they felt completely forgotten by the two who were acting lovey-dovey with one another.

"I can't watch you two anymore. You're making me blush." Jevon said, covering his face and looking away.

Chloe's face flushed deep red as she started to fondle with her clothes. She walked towards the Christmas three to give a hand in hanging the fiery lights. She didn't want to see the faces of the people who were there to witness her vulnerable state. She had forgotten how they were not alone just a minute. She couldn't believe she just did that. Everyone just saw how she and Natalie acted; moreover, they surely saw her flushed state. Chloe wanted to hide from everyone. Well, at least some of her competitors would back off when the rumors of Natalie and her getting chummy start to spread. A small smile formed from her lips which made Vince, the president of the volunteer club who was also giving her a hand in hanging the fiery lights on Christmas tree, utterly confused.

Natalie glared at Jevon for the stunt that he had pulled. Poor Jevon. He was ignored by his best friend. He'll just have to make it up to her by ordering an exquisite burger.

Chloe finished hanging up the Christmas star and the fiery lights on the Christmas tree. Chloe fixed her coat. She stood up and observed the volunteers. She didn't pay attention a while ago, but it seemed that there were only ten out of all the members excluding her and Jevon from the volunteer club and the cheerleading team. Chloe didn't mind but having lesser people here would make it more productive rather than having too many people volunteering. Speaking of which, Chloe didn't spot her friends. She grabbed her phone from her pocket and left a message in their group chat asking where Vanessa and Alice were. A few minutes later, Alice and Vanessa barged in breathing heavily.

"Shit! We're sorry Chloe." Vanessa said, catching her breath.

Chloe shook her head. Vanessa must have forgotten and Alice had to drive to Vanessa's again.

"You should keep a planner," Chloe said, walking towards Vanessa.

"I have a life-sized planner here," Vanessa said with a proud smirk, patting Alice's back.

Alice glared at Vanessa and started to give her a sermon. Vanessa looked pleadingly at Chloe for help. Chloe just shrugged with her lips pinch, hinting Vanessa she couldn't help which left Vanessa no choice but to keep on nodding at whatever Alice was saying to her. After Alice was done scolding Vanessa, Vanessa looked as if her soul left Earth already. Chloe wondered where Corner and the others were.

"Where's Corner and the others?" Chloe asked.

"Oh, we met them a while ago. The three of them can make it." Alice said.

Vince, who was eavesdropping on their conversation, started to tremble out of fear that Chloe might explode. Not only did many of their members were unable to help, but three of the student council also didn't show up. He glanced at Natalie who was calmly conversing with the others. Vince started to panic but became more confused at the response of Chloe's.