Chapter Twenty- Amends?

Taking a large breath, Jennifer heaved a piece of luggage onto the boat and glanced at Maddox. He gave her a friendly smile before loading the final pieces onto the vessel. She returned it before he picked her up and placed her on the ship. Colin saw this and grew incredibly angry. Ellie happened to be walking beside him and he used this to his advantage. Picking her up-bridal style, he placed her upon the ship right beside Jennifer and placed a kiss on her cheek. She saw the look in Jennifer's eye and exited the top deck to the bottom.

        "I see you two have gotten close..." Jennifer said with a scowl.

        "Yeah...same with you and Maddox..."

        "He is very strong...he gets me..." She said, being incredibly over dramatic and placing her hand over her heart before glancing at him.

        "Yeah...Ellie and I are fairly in tune...can't get enough of each other..."

        "Good."

        "Good..." He said in a sassy attitude. They both turned in opposite directions and parted from one another.

        As Maddox went to untie the rope to free the boat from the dock, he saw men with flashlights and guns running toward them. Screaming something Scottish, he cut the rope and Colin pulled Jennifer into the ship as a gun was pointed at them. A bullet hit the wall where he head just left and he fell on top of her. By this time, the ship had left and they were free from the danger. Colin's eyes never left hers as they laid on the floor of the dock.

        "I'm sorry..."

        Before she could respond, he was away from her and disappeared from view. She took a deep breath and looked behind her, tracing her finger against the bullet hole. She felt incredibly sad. The butterflies she received when she first saw him, returned. It was as if nothing had mattered. She went to talk to him but found him to be with Ellie.

        "Of course..." She commented, turning to leave before Colin turned to her.

        "What?"

        "You're with her...yet again..."

        As they verbally duked it out before Ellie, they threw vicious words at one another. Going back all the way to his first marriage.