Chapter Forty Four- Escape Act

Jennifer and Colin looked at each other at her irony in her choice of words. As Maddox and Ellie went in the kitchen to conjure up something to give her the pill in, Jennifer used the restroom in which she found was equally as foul. When they returned to the room, they found Colin unconscious and Belle gone. The old lady held a weapon in her hand. Unusual for a woman of her trait.

        "Now tell me what you are really doing here?" She said, cocking the weapon back.

        "We are here to steal from you." Ellie said quick. "You seemed frail and delicate you would not even notice." She said with an embarrassed smile, trying to sell the lie.

        "I will let you leave will all appendages if you leave this instant..."

        "We are very sorry, let us be on our way..." Maddox said, as he picked up Colin and threw him over his shoulder.

        As they made it a safe distance from the house, Jennifer exploded on Ellie.

        "Where is Belle?" She asked lashing out. "What happened?!" She said with angry tears in her eyes.

        As Colin awoke, he told everybody what had happened.

        "We were sitting there discussing our families when Belle started talking to Ivette in some code. I am guessing it was an "emergency" code for Artifice if they ever got caught or were in trouble. Belle hit me with something and then I woke up here..."

        "But the pill-she didn't take it then?" Jennifer now changed her direction to Ellie.

        "She must have put it under her tongue so she didn't take it..."

        "Do you have another?"

        "No, seven-one for each person." She said hanging her head in disappointment.

        "Now we have to find her....if we didn't need any more problems..." Jennifer said holding her head against her palm.