Chapter 174

Connor's POV

"How are you feeling?" Her fever was only rising. It never went down. I was getting very worried. I didn't even know she could get sick like this. She was mostly android, after all. 

Her eyes were dim and her face was pale. She looked at me, looking weaker than I'd ever seen her. This was getting serious. 

"I- *cough cough cough*" I tensed as she broke into a coughing fit. She sighed afterward. "Connor, has anything changed?" She could hardly talk. I didn't answer her question. "Connor." I looked at her. Through it all, she still had enough strength to be firm with me.

"No, (Y/n). In fact...you're getting worse. Though...I don't think you need me to tell you that." She closed her eyes, laying there looking lost.

"It's been a week with the medicine. I don't understand."

"Neither do I," I replied, my voice shaking a bit. I was scared. We could only do so much. We didn't even have a definitive answer as to what this was. Nobody could tell us what was wrong. We could only try to cure it and...all of the efforts appeared to be in vain. 

Her eyes opened as she turned to me again. Our gazes met and she gave me a smile. I didn't know how she was able to smile at me. It didn't seem possible.

"Connor, I'll be alright. We'll figure this out." 

"I...I just don't understand. All of this is so...unnatural. It shouldn't even be possible!" 

"I- *cough, cough* ngh...I-I know, Con." I looked at the time. I frowned. I couldn't stay with her. I had to leave because I'd already taken so many days off for her. I had no idea how we were ever going to make up for being gone like this. It had gotten to the point where even Fowler had just kind of given up on expecting us to have normal time schedules. He had made a joke on how we'd be working there even after he was dead though. Everyone had to admit that he was probably right.

I gave her a kiss. I looked at her with longing eyes. She knew I had to go. She took my hand and gave me a reassuring smile. "I'll still be here when you get home. I promise." I nodded.

"I'll be home as soon as I can, angel." I gave her a kiss on the forehead before standing up and heading out. I glanced back at her as I left the bedroom. My heart felt heavy, my feet felt heavier, but I still forced myself to turn and walk out of the room.

I had called Cass and she had agreed to come over with Jaylin to watch her. I didn't trust leaving her alone. I just couldn't. I called Cass again to make sure she was coming over and she told me that they were already on their way. I thanked her and I left for work.

Cass' POV

I told Connor we were on our way, but we had to stop somewhere else first. He was finally finished with it. He'd figured it out, thanks to our special helper. We had what she needed. 

"Are you sure it'll work, Cass?" I turned to Jay and we got ready to head out. 

"I'm sure." That was a lie. I wasn't sure at all. Still, my determination didn't waver. It HAS to work. We can't fix her again like we did before. This is our last shot. God, Markus wanted to AVOID war. Too bad WE couldn't.

"But what if it doesn't? What then?" He asked. I frowned.

"Then...I don't know." He looked stunned as it sank in with him.

"God...this has to work." I sighed heavily.

"You're telling me." 

"When are you going to get the other two involved though? You knew they're going to have to find out eventually."

"If everything pans out, they'll be together soon."

"Are you sure they'll accept it? I mean...do you even realize who we're talking about?" I chuckled.

"Yeah, and while you might not be able to see it, I can. They'll be fine." He paused for a long time. It was as if he wanted to agree with me, but he couldn't. Finally, he nodded, giving me a trusting smile. 

"You're right. We can fix this. We can finally end this and give them the lives they deserve. We can give them the lives they've all always wanted." He took both of my hands in his own. "And then we can have our own life together." I blushed, smiling at him as he looked into my eyes.

"Do you think it'd be possible for us?" He shrugged, still smiling. 

"Maybe, maybe not, but I'm willing to try. That is...if you'll have me." I smiled and kissed him.

"If the world burns, it will burn with us holding hands. Nothing could pull me away from you." He nodded.

"And if the oceans rise, I will swim through their depths to be with you."

"In all our wars, I will always be by your side."

"And I will bleed every color to see you smile."

"Because that's what my love for you means to me."

"And that's what our love for each other will show the world." And with that, we took our first steps out onto yet another battlefield.

Gavin's POV

Connor came into work alone again. He wasn't saying much about how (Y/n) was doing, but it wasn't hard to guess. Something was wrong and, at this point, everyone knew it. It was taking all of my strength not to demand it out of him. If (Y/n) was really doing that bad, we all deserved to know. 

Still, Collin told me that he'd talked to Connor and it was getting to be another sensitive subject. I knew what that meant and that was the main reason was I was so worried. If it was getting to the point where it was hard for him to talk about it, that meant things had really gotten bad. 

I had actually ended up calling Cass. I knew Cass would know about it, so I had tried to get something out of her. She told me that as far as she knew (Y/n) had a high fever. It seemed like just a bad cold or something. I didn't really believe that. I mean, for all I knew, she had a new rare disease or something!

(Y/n) wasn't my sister, but she was the closest thing I had to anything resembling a family before Collin. I was glad that Collin understood that. I felt paranoid about that, honestly. I didn't want it to seem like I cared about her for...other reasons. 

I was glad Collin believed me. Keeping all this inside was getting very hard. I had to hide so much. I had to hide the fact that I was worried about (Y/n), I had to hide the fact that I was dating Collin for more than one reason, and I had to keep up the asshole act on top of it. Yeah, some of it actually isn't an act, but for fuck's sake! Haven't we had enough shit already!? Hell, I honestly just felt like shouting 'THE END' and praying that would magically end this fucking nightmare.

Little did I know that the nightmare was about to change. I had no idea how much that day was going to impact my life. I don't think any of us did. Still, we had one final thing to do. Now, only two of us knew what that was at the exact moment, but soon the rest of us were going to be filled in. Unfortunately, it wasn't going to be in the way that all of us had hoped.