Chapter Five - Home

Taehyung was very alarmed by the car, scratching at the seatbelt when it clicked around him. He whined, looking up at you as the seatbelt locked, the mechanism triggered from his relentless tugging.

"It's okay honey, it's to keep you safe. I have one too, look." You pulled the belt around you and  clicked it, waiting until he was calmed down before driving home. It was close to nighttime when you got home and you pulled into your garage, leading him into your house. He stayed at your heels at first, not daring to venture past your safety. Leading him through the living room he began recognizing your scent everywhere, tail starting to hesitantly wag. You sat on the couch, patting the spot next to you. 

He hopped up with ease, only waiting before jumping for you to tell him that he could. Your heart was breaking more and more as you realized that he really had been raised fully animal. He sat on the couch, staring at you expectantly, head slightly tilted.

"You're gonna be staying here for a while, I'm gonna teach you more about being human. Are you okay with that? This can be your home now."

Home. 

Taehyung knew what that meant. The people at his old shelter had told him that he was going there once. He remembered being tossed into the large trunk of a van, tumbling around as the van turned corners and hitting his head when they screeched to a halt. The people at the shelter had said home, but his owners had told him that he was at their house. His eyes began growing wet, shrinking away from you as he thought of all the awful things that those people had put him through. They touched him even though he didn't want them to, they locked him in an empty room, gave him food once a week. He was only brought out when there was company, or when the masters wanted to touch him. He had to perform for company, he was dressed up in fancy clothes and given instructions that he couldn't understand. He was punished when he walked on two legs, beaten when he spoke, and whipped when he ate with his hands. 

"What's wrong Taehyung? Home is a good thing, this is a good home."

You noticed how his ears had flattened to his head at the word home, a small whimper coming out of his mouth. He began backing up, distancing himself from you on the couch. Only when he was backed up against the arm did he stop, burying his head in his knees and curling in on himself. You reached out, holding your hand out in front of you. He looked up, leaning in slightly to sniff at your hand. He still smelled the subtle flowery undertones, something sugary and sweet taking up most of your scent. He didn't smell any of the sour, rotting lust that he smelled all over his old owners. He smelled kindness, compassion, empathy, caring. He smelled nothing but good intentions and so he caved, leaning his head into your hand. He relaxed as he felt your nails graze the base of his ear, fingers lightly kneading into his soft fur.

He crawled forwards, once more climbing into your lap as he cuddled himself into you. You wrapped your arms around him, hugging him tight to you as you pet him. After a few moments he popped his head up, pushing his face towards yours. You waited, furrowing your brows when he pressed his nose into your lips. He whimpered when you didn't move, nudging you further. You thought of the kitchen, where you had kissed the tip of his nose.

"Do you want another kiss?"

His tail wagged and he yipped, nuzzling into you. You giggled, pulling back to cup the sides of his face before you pressed a kiss to his nose. He was overcome with happiness, tail practically beating the side of the couch with how fast it was going. He brought his face back up, licking your chin and pressing his cheek against yours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You had tucked him into his bed in your spare room, deciding to begin teaching him human things tomorrow as he curled up in the middle of the bed. You shut off the light, leaving a small nightlight on when he leapt out of the bed and clung to your leg. 

You managed to get him to stay in his bed, kissing his nose one more time before shutting the door and climbing into your own bed. It began raining, thunder sounding throughout the house as your eyes slipped closed.

You were just drifting off before you heard it, scratching at your door. You got out of bed, opening the door to find Taehyung at your feet.

"What's wrong honey? What are you doing here?"

The moment you finished speaking a clap of thunder sounded, sending Taehyung flying into your leg. You felt him shaking against you, heard his soft whines as he nuzzled into your leg.

You walked back to your bed, picking him up and setting him on top. You lay down, lifting the covers for him and he curled up beside you. 

"Can I show you how to lay like me?"

His head popped up at your voice, eyes following your hands that went to him, one to his shoulder and one to his knees. You pushed his knees down, straightening his body. He whined slightly at the unfamiliar pose, but quickly stopped once your arms wrapped around his waist. You pulled him into you, tucking his head under your chin. You felt his hands come up, resting awkwardly between the two of you. You grabbed one, seeing how it was still curled in on itself like a paw. 

"Watch this Taehyung."

You took his hand in yours, uncurling each finger and placing it flat against yours. His hand was much larger, fingertips towering over yours.

He surveyed your hands, blinking in confusion when you staggered your fingers, folding yours down and holding his hand. He slowly brought his fingers down, tips brushing the back of your hand.

"Good job! You're doing so good already!"

You heard his tail wag somewhere in the darkness and you smiled when he bumped his nose into your lips again. You kissed the tip of his nose, keeping your hands clasped together as you closed your eyes, the rhythmic thumping of Taehyung's tail lulling you to sleep.