Chapter Thirty-Eight - His Own Room

You weren't oblivious to the way Minseok looked at you. You saw that he was willing to trust you, that he was overly touchy, that he didn't want to leave your side as you left the station. But you knew that he would eventually find the right person. You knew that he was most likely feeling misplaced affection for you because you were pretty sure that you were the first person to be nice to him. But once he met others who were equally as kind, you knew that he'd most likely find the one that he was meant to be with.

You saw him subtly shift in his seat, trying to cover Taehyung's scent without you noticing. You said nothing, driving to the shelter and parking in the front, in the employee spot. You helped Minseok out of the car, leading him to the front doors. You pushed the door open, shooting him a kind smile to try and ease the stiff posture that he was in. He jumped slightly at the bell over the front door, though the cat hybrid sitting in one of the chairs with her owner looked over at the sound and her hands twitched, as though she wanted to reach up and play with the bell. You smiled at her as well, crossing the room with Minseok in tow and opening the door to the living quarters of the hybrids. 

You walked down towards the end of the hallway, since the rooms were filled towards the front and less towards the back. Once you reached an empty room, you pushed the door handle down, stepping into the dark room. You flicked the light on, smiling when you saw that Suho had done what you had asked. A fresh set of clothes, as well as pajamas, slippers, blankets, and pillows adorned the usually somewhat bare beds. They were normally made with a sheet set and one comforter, but you knew that hybrids perceived warmth as comfort, and you needed Minseok to feel comfortable here.  

You had written your phone number down on a sticky note that was stuck to the desk, next to a small, landline phone in it's receiver. You knew that he would probably need reassurance at some point, and you didn't want him to feel like he had no one to talk to. 

He walked towards the bed, brushing his fingers tentatively over the tufted blanket. He nearly snorted over the stereotypical puppy slippers but he also knew that he would probably use them later. There was a calendar pinned on the wall, marking the full moon which, Minseok blushed a bit, was when wolf hybrids went through their heats. But he appreciated the idea, he was always bad at keeping track of them himself. A large bookshelf covered part of a wall, books of all genres lining the shelves.

"Is this... Is this all for me?"

"Yes, it is. I hope you like it, I really tried to think of things that you might like-" You were cut off when he lunged at you, wrapping you up in your third hug of the day. His arms squeezed around your waist, almost hurting you as he desperately held onto you.

"Y/N... I don't know what to do."

"What do you mean?"

"I-I think that I love you. And I don't know what to do. And I know that you're dating, I just.. I can't help it. I love you anyways." His voice was laced with fear, his forehead nestling into your shoulder as he avoided your gaze.

"Minseok, can we please sit down on the bed?"

He nodded softly as he unwrapped himself from around you, keeping your hand in his as he perched on the edge of the bed.

"Minseok, I want you to listen to me before you say anything, please."

He nodded and you continued.

"I don't think you're in love with me, I think you're in love with what I'm doing for you. Judging from your stories, I don't think you've ever had anyone be nice to you. I think you've just been craving affection your entire life and I'm the first person who's given it to you. I'm not telling you how you're feeling, I'm just telling you what I think is happening. And it's okay, I can't imagine going through what you've gone through. I want you to stay here for one week, and talk to other people. Most everyone, with the exception of a few teen hybrids, is really nice, and so I think talking to them might change your perspective. I think that as more and more people are nice to you and gain your trust, you'll realize that you're not in love with me, just in love with love. But if not, we can talk after the week is up. Thank you for telling me, I'm glad that you can trust me with something like that."

His eyes were sad, cast down at your hands intertwined in between the two of you. He nodded slowly, giving you a sad smile.

"I'm sorry Y/N, I didn't mean to complicate things."

"You didn't complicate things Minseok, please don't apologize for talking about your feelings. It's healthy, and I really hope that you are able to recover from your past here. I left my phone number on the desk there, do you know how to dial the phone?"

He nodded, eyes flickering over to the desk to see the little yellow note.

"Okay, well if anything happens that you wanna talk about, don't hesitate to call me. I'm always ready to listen. But now, it's really late. So I think you should get some sleep, and start exploring in the morning. Suho can show you around. He's the one that set this up, you know. I asked him to, but he actually did it."

Minseok nodded, moving to grab the pajamas off of the bed and scooting the clothes off and stacking them onto the floor next to the bed. You turned around to let him change, turning back around once he gave you the okay. You watched as he slid into the bed, instantly sighing and relaxing into the warmth that the blankets gave. You tucked him in, stroking his ears and combing through his hair for a moment. He smiled, watching as you flicked the lights back off, leaving a small nightlight illuminated in the corner.

"Goodnight Y/N."

"Goodnight Minseok."