A Glimpse of Jisoo's Past

JISOO's POV

"So Unnie, is that the reason why you never confessed your feelings for Jennie?" Chaeyoung asked all of a sudden which caught me offguard. I unconsciously dropped the ladle I was holding a while ago as I stare at the woman in front me.

At first I thought she was just kidding but then I saw the sincerity of her question and by the look at Chaeyoung's face I know she's quite concerned about me.

I stared at her for a while and shifted my gaze at Lisa and Jennie who at the moment, were comfortably snuggled together at the couch as they had fallen asleep while binge-watching their favorite series.
I simply nodded at her, then shifted my gaze at the stove, unable to answer her directly.

Chaeng then sighed and continued.

"At first, I never understood why you didn't took your shot when you had so many chances before Unnie." she added ruefully.

"But yestereday, when I learned about the whole truth about Lisa's parents and her traumas, I clearly understood why." she said as she gave me a gentle pat at my back.

"Now I understand why, for the love of God, despite Jennie's several attempts to confess to you, you never said I love you back to her." Chaeyoung said as she shot me a sad gaze.

I stared at her intently and gave her a faint smile.

It's true.

For the past 10 years, there were several times that Jennie did confessed her feelings for me.

It should have been the happiest moment of my life.

But as much as I wanted to tell her the words she was longing to hear from me, I can't.

I just can't....

I could only look at her as she walk away from me and it's the hardest thing.

Letting go of the only thing you ever wished for in your miserable life.

" Jennie. She's the only right thing that happened to Lisa that time." I finally answered, still avoiding her gaze.

"People never understood my reasons but it was never too easy."

"Everything about our situation is complicated."

"Lisa lost everyone but it was Jennie who stayed and never left. What you saw yesterday at the cemetery is  just the tip of the iceberg Chaeyoung."

"There were no exact words to describe how Lisa suffered from that trauma."

"And Jennie was the only reason why Lisa was able to pull through from her miserable life, Chaeng." I said regretfully and paused for a moment.

" Tell me, how could I ever take away from her the only reason that's keeping her sane all those years."

"I can never do that Chaeyoung.."

"I don't have the heart to do that....especially to my bestfriend." I said almost a whisper which Chaeng managed to hear as she gave me a comforting hug to my side.

"All my life, it had always been just me and my little sister. We barely see our parents and when we do, it was always a chaos."

"I never understood the concept of what a a real home is."

"Until I met them."

Jennie and Lisa, they are the first proper family I ever had Chaeyoung.