74

Time slowed and stilled as I just sat there alone in the quiet storage room I was forced into by a monster.

I'm guessing it's almost midnight, the smell of gasoline seemed to have synced in with the air and now I could barely even heed it.

There was no doubt in my mind that the monster was still sitting on the other side of the door, listening in on me.

"I know you're there. .If you're going to kill me, get on with it already, what are you waiting for? A sign? God, I'm so foolish. Every time, every damn time I think you've changed, I'm pulled back to that very shame and disappointment I've felt. I know I've said this a million times already, but this time I'm done. Luke Hampton, I'm so done with you.. So if you're not going to kill me, let me out so I can leave your crazy ass finally."

"Quit acting like the victim."

"Says the abuser." I shot back.

"When are you going to be honest about the things you've done to ruin our marriage, all this is happening because you couldn't keep your legs shut. Your countless infidelities brought us here."

"Don't you put this on me? You laid your filthy hands on me again." I snarled at his audacity.

"And, you've played me for a fool for over thirteen years."

"What?! What have I ever done to deserve such vile treatments from you? I've loved you with everything. I have never given you a single reason to doubt my loyalty to you."

"Yeah, you threw it right in my face."

"What are you talking about?"

"Steve." He let out. "I'm talking about Steve."

"What, Steve?" I paused and thought about it, "You mean, Steve, our dead son?! Why would you even bring him up like this?"

"Oh. Cut the crap Jane, it's been over thirteen years, you can let the cat out the bag now."

I shuddered in anticipation.

Does he know?

"I had to test our boys the very moment they were born and as a result, it ate me up, and for all these years I've watched you try to fool me with anniversaries and what so not for a child that isn't even mine."

"How dare you say that?!"

"You're saying it's a lie."

"I'm saying how dare you bring him up, after everything we went through when we lost him, how dare you talk about him like he meant nothing?!"

"It was Charles, wasn't it?"

"He was our son!" I yelled.

"I remember seeing him at the hospital the very day Steve was born... Then at your opening, I saw you slipping out of the bathroom with him,."

"Charles was just my boss."

"You were sleeping with him. Is that why you killed him?"

I gasped and laughed.

"And, Why would I kill him? Charles was good to me in every step of the way, unlike the man I supposedly married."

"I bet he was. Who knows how many more secrets you share between your legs with him."

"Maybe you killed him, and you're just looking for a way to pin this on me."

"Is any of the other pregnancies you've supposedly lost even mine."

"Shut up." I sigh, and we got back to not speaking for a while.

I leaned on the door tiredly.

"Why didn't you ever say anything?" I whispered.