68

Jane

"Jane?" One of the officers patrolling the streets walked over to us, "Everything okay over here?"

I formed a smile and turned away from Luke to face him,

"Yeah, Joe, everything is okay."

"You know it's dangerous standing outside at this hour, why don't you go inside."

"I will, thanks, Joe."

"Stay safe." He waved and left.

"That's a nice officer." Luke waved in a tone that I well recognized.

"Please, don't start." I cut in sharply.

"I came to take you out, Jane."

"It's late, why don't you come inside?"

He raised an eyebrow at me not believing what he just heard, I must be out of my mind letting this man inside the house without the kids.

"You sure?"

"Yeah, I don't feel like going out tonight, let's just stay in and talk." I emphasized on the talking part.

"Sure." He agreed quickly.

I exhaled and started walking away, he follows me inside and shuts the door behind us.

"Shall we?"

I mused in response and went to sit,

"What would you like to watch?" He asked as he sets up the movie.

"You're the one who suggested seeing a movie."

"Fair enough." He grabs the remote and sits next to me, speaking as he scrolled through Netflix, the whole time my mind was reeling against the idea.

He finally picked a movie, and we sat quietly to watch it, every minute through the movie Luke would turn to gaze at me, I guess he thought I wouldn't notice seeing my eyes were engrossed on the screen.

"You need to stop doing that." I snorted in annoyance.

"What's that?"

"Just stop, Luke."

"I don't want to fight." He said in the most calmest tone staring at me, "Not tonight." He reached for my hand and brought it to his lips.

His phone buzzed suddenly.

He reached for the phone and snorted at the screen before putting it away.

"I have a session in the morning, apparently my last one."

I cleared my throat, turning to him.

"I thought that was over?"

"It never is."

"How was it going? I mean your treatment in Berlin, What did they say this time?"

"Just the usual therapy, nothing to it, they try to get in my head, try to guess what I'm thinking..." he paused for a while, "I didn't appreciate any of it at the moment, but looking back all that just made me want to embrace life and live it each day." He smiled and stared at me distantly for another good few seconds,

"Lets hope it worked this time and you are not pretending."

"I don't feel any better though." He added and I scoffed,

"You don't earn points when you say things like that."

"I'm not trying to earn points, Jane. I'm only trying to be honest with you. No more lies, that's what started all this in the first place."