Chapter 33

Jane

A day before Luke was to be discharged from the hospital, I went to stay with him for the night, I was still his wife after all.

It was almost midnight, he complained of an ache, so he fell asleep early, I just sat at the far end, watching him and jotting down a few things.

Tired of writing down my thoughts, I closed the journal and went to grab a cup of coffee, it was in the main hall downstairs. I needed the air, so I walked instead of using the elevator.

The hospital was almost empty, the only noise heard at the hour, were the moaning and groaning coming from the orthopedic unit, some accident casualties were rushed in earlier, so the cries were of pains.

One of the reasons I hated hospitals, "Hi." I smiled and waved at a few passing nurses. Then, I quickly went to get the coffee when I spotted someone familiar lingering at the entrance, in a black sweater.

"Olivia?"

She noticed me and smiled, approaching.

"Just the person I was looking for." We exchanged compliments and I pulled back to look at her again, her hair messy like she's been running hands through it.

"What are you doing here?"

"I was working in the neighborhood and decided to stop by."

"How did you know I was here?" I asked, I had to ask, I hadn't talked to her in a while, so it was a bit suspicious.

"I knew Luke was admitted here, so you had to be here." She explained, I threw in a small smile and didn't say anything else, "So how are you?" She asked.

"I'm alright.." I tell her.

"And, Luke?" She asked.

"He's sleeping.." I answered,

"How's your case?" She waved in. It felt weird how she just brought that up all of a sudden, but I answered.

"I have another trial on Monday."

"Isn't Luke dropping the charges?" She waved in again,

"It's not up to him. Look, I have to go, It was nice seeing you, but--"

"Actually." She cut in again, "I was hoping we could talk." I noticed how her fingers were fiddling the ends of her sweater nervously.

"Olivia are you okay?" I worried.

She nodded and glanced at the bench,

"Can we talk for a minute?"

I nodded and followed her to the bench, "Here, this would help..." I handed her the coffee and she smiled politely taking it from me,

She took a sip and nodded,

"I didn't know hospital coffee was any good." her lips trembling.

"Why are you really here?" I waved in,

She faltered and began playing with the end of the cup, then placing her hand into the jacket she pulled out something in an envelope.

"I think this is yours." She said,

I was hesitant but I took it from her and opened it,

"Is this--"

"Yes, the tapes... I took them out, I didn't mean to get you in any trouble...I just.. needed the money...but I couldn't do that to you. Jane, I'm sorry." I couldn't believe my ears or make sense of it and I didn't want to,

"How could you have it and all this time--" I couldn't wrap my head around it.

"I'm so sorry, Justin had got in my head." She tried to justify herself by blaming her husband.

"You should go."

"Jane, you need to use this and get away from Luke, he's never going to change, don't make the same mistakes I did."

I got up and just left, I scurried down the hall and found my way back to the room.

Luke was still asleep when I walked in, so I quickly went to hide the tape away, when suddenly I heard his voice,

"Where were you?"

I turned to see him awake and sitting upright,

"Um..."I stuttered, making my way to him, "I felt stuffy, I needed some air...Do you need anything?"

"Water." he said sharply.

I nodded and went to pour him a cup,

"Here." I returned and handed it to him,

He smiled and took it from me,

"Are you okay?" he asked after a sip,

I sighed and nodded. "I'm just tired, how are you feeling?" I checked his temperature again, he was burning up earlier, "How's that headache?"

"I'm alright.." He smiled and pulled me closer with his free hand, "And, sane enough to know you've been faltering..." he said.

"What's that?" I asked, taking the cup away.

"I want to know what's on your mind?" He whispered, waiting.

I sighed,

"I hate it when I'm not able to read your thoughts, Jane. So tell me, Are you sad or happy right now?"

"I don't know."

"Tell me.." he insisted,

I sighed,

"What do you want me to say, Luke? A lot has happened, and right now I can't decide if I'm happy or sad."

"What are you sad about Jane? Aren't you happy with me? What's it you want I haven't given you?" I scoffed at his question, the nerve of him to act oblivious to all the pain he's caused me, "What's it you are sad about, Jane?" He asked again, this time his tone is threatening and demanding.

"I'm sad because my husband doubts my love for him--"

"And, happy?" He cut in, his tone desperate.

I stare down at him for a while before running a hand through his hair, "Happy..." I started in a whisper, "I'm happy because for the first time in a long time, I'm optimistic, I'm hopeful about the future."

His expression changed,

"I don't like your tone, Jane. What are you up to?"

I scoffed in disbelief and got away from his hold,

"I don't know what you mean....." I said cluelessly

"Do you still love me?" Ignoring his question, I tried to lay him back but he held tight to my wrist stopping me."Jane..." He made me look at him forcefully, "You were going to leave me before all of this, I hope that's not the case anymore--" his hold on my wrist tightening with every word, "Answer me--"

I looked down at the grip and clenched,

"Let go of me, Luke?" I warned him, my tone collected whilst my insides were boiling with anger,

"You better not be thinking of leaving again, Jane--"

"LET GO OF ME!" I howled, having him releasing me, "Don't you ever hold me like that again." I warned him, while rubbing my wrist.

He grunts and lays back on the bed, as if struggling to get a hold of his temper, he wouldn't want to show his true nature in public, in front of all these strangers.

I shook my head and turned away from him,

I went to settle on the chair with my book, the room became quiet again, staring becoming our new form of communication.