51

"I don't know what this is, and I don't care. Y'all just need to leave. .."

"Relax Jane, we just came to see you."

"Why?"

"We are your friends, Jane, and we care about you." Amaya had the nerve to say.

"Friends! I haven't seen your asses in two years, you practically strangers now.."

"That's why we are here, to talk and make amends." Zoe said in a lower tone.

"To think I took y'all like sisters and the moment you got the chance you turned your backs on me, and said all those awful lies in court, you didn't even have the decency to check up on me after. So no, I don't want to make amends, just get out of my house!"

"We never turned our backs on you, Jane, if that be the case you turned your backs on us--"

"Let me, Zoe." Amaya jumped in, "While you act like the victim why don't you take your mind to what really happened, Jane. How you shut us out for weeks, you wouldn't even show up for meetings or meet any of us, even Chante, your own sister. One time I called you for a cookout and you lied, you told me you were feeling under the weather, I saw your ass in some fancy restaurant with some white woman, you wouldn't pick the phone after that and then a few weeks later we heard Luke got shot and your the one who pulled the trigger, what were we supposed to think, Jane?"

"You were supposed to stand by my side, trust me."

"is she serious?!"

"Okay, Amaya calm down--" Zoe cut in, "We didn't come here to fight, we came to make amends. Jane I admit we are somehow at fault here, we should have sensed something was off with you, but you also can't blame us, you never say anything to us. We've been friends since college and the only things we know about you are the things you wanted us to know, nothing else. You always seemed so distant, so happy, you always told us how satisfied you were with your life, how marrying Luke was the best thing you ever did, you kept ringing his praises on and on, and then we hear you say all those awful things about him in court, how he abused you!!! C'mon Jane, it's Luke, the same Luke you sang praises about, the same man who got his ass whipped by the Barne brothers to defend your honor, everyone in this town knows how much he loves you, no one was going to believe you---"

"So you ran off to Turkey-" Amaya jumped in.

"Amaya that's irrelevant." Zoe scolded her.

"Well, she did..."

"Wait, how did you know that?"

She shrugged cluelessly.

"It's just been a few days since I got back, and Luke couldn't have called you."

"What does it matter?"

I have been thinking about it a lot, Luke couldn't have contacted the community on his own, someone must have helped him, someone very prominent in the community to talk them into selling out one of their own, "It was you, wasn't it? You sold me out."

"You talking like I told the popo on you, I only informed your husband where you were, you should have seen him, he was devastated."

"Amaya, how could you do that?" Zoe castigated her, "Jane, I'm sorry. I didn't know about any of this..."

"I was only concerned about you, Jane."

"No, you were not, you were never concerned about me or had my best interest at heart, if you did, you wouldn't have sold me out to him like that. .for God knows how much?"

"I did you a favor, Jane."

"You think I didn't know the only reason you stuck around all this time was because of everything you stood to gain from me, these nice clothes, the shoes, cars, the fine job, everything you stand for was because of me, I turned you into this boujee as woman you think you are... Those cheques must be running low since you all back here, so what's it y'all really want, more money?"

"JANE, that's enough--"

"Don't y'all stand there and talk to me like you care about because we all know what you really care about and it's not me

"Don't y'all stand there and talk to me like you care about because we all know what you really care about and it's not me.."

"I wouldn't have you talk to us like that, like we were the enemy.."

"You shouldn't have told on me then. I trusted you, all of you, you were my family, my one support through this, do you have any idea what I have been through?! The pain have had to endure because of everything. You think I enjoy this luxury around me, you think I live for all this, you can have them if you want, all of it, in fact let's exchange lives right now, I would kill to have yours instead of having to live like this---" I screamed my lungs,

My eyesight was blurring, but not because tears were welling up, but because of the burning agony inside of me. Everything became extremely overwhelming and faint; And beat by beat I saw nothing at all.

My heartbeats pounding loudly, echoing in my ears, alongside fading pleas for help.