Chapter 3

The first thing I noticed when my eyes started to wake, asides the lumpiness in the air, was the aching throughout my body. I felt sore from my neck all the way down to my ribs; it wasn't a new feeling so quickly I shrugged it off and slowly tried to sit;

I let out a loud groan, feeling a wave of pain in my ribs but slowly and reluctantly, I sat up and dragged my feet off the bed and when my eyes finally adjusted enough so that I could look around, I immediately caught sight of the room, everywhere looked clean and spotless, even the small streaks of blood on the walls and floor were now wiped clean, the room was now bright and decent, erasing all the evidence of last night. That was one other thing he does he made sure to wipe every trace of his assault before anyone noticed.

Shaking my head in disbelief, I made my way out of the room to check on the kids and just as I reached the threefold of the door; I heard loud giggles. I opened the door slightly and caught a glimpse of Luke playing zombie attack with the kids while getting them ready for school. .

I leaned in, watching and wondering how one man could be so absolutely beautiful and devilry vicious.

I was dragged out of my thoughts abruptly when Luke caught sight with me standing there.

He smiled warmly.

I cleared my throat,

"Boys stop playing and get ready for school." I said, ignoring his guilty gaze. I marched back to the bedroom, "Jane!" Luke called after me, I didn't stop to answer, "Would you stop and talk to me." I heard him snarl, coming after me as I walked into the bedroom and continued into the bathroom.

Quickly, I rushed in and locked the door, "Jane!" Luke yelled pounding on the door. I turned on the shower to tune him out. "Are you doing this on purpose?" I heard him yell between the shower beats, rolling my eyes, I take off his shirt and climb into the shower, immediately blocking him out. Oh, I moaned as the water poured against my skin.

The water felt so relaxing against my body, evening out my thoughts and for one short moment, my life felt normal. I quickly rinsed my hair and by the time I was finished, the water went cold and I felt better, stronger and ready to face the day, then turning off the shower, I stepped down and quickly dried myself with a towel before wrapping it around my body.

I moved towards the door and opening it, I first poked my head out of the door to find the room empty before spurring out of the bathroom and into the walk-in closet. I went to my closet to sort out something to wear and decided to wear something relative to my mood, Ah, yes. My nude plum dress. I slide it off the hanger, choose my French heels, before heading out of the closet. I walked over to the chest of drawers and grabbed my set of matching lacy underwear; I pulled them on before sliding into my dress.

When I finished dressing, I stood in front of the mirror and began applying heavy layers of concealers and foundation on all the affected areas; they were barely visible, but I still found the need to hide them from watchful eyes, I didn't even know whose reputation I was protecting, his or mine. I went ahead to rub the concealer down my neck and arm, blending.

Then I applied some dark shades of lipstick on my busted lips, by the time I was done with my face I was looking like a whole different person, I proceeded to comb my hair and just then the door to the room rattled open, revealing Luke in his fitting work attire.

He sighs looking at me, "The kids are running late but here you are dolling yourself up..." he buttoned his shirtsleeves as he spoke, moving behind me in the mirror, "And then, you wonder why I lose my temper with you." He spoke as he was looking through the mirror, fixing his shirt.

I rolled my eyes, twisting and tying my hair into a neat bun, retorting in the same sarcastic tone, "They aren't just my kids. Why don't you try being their father for once?" I spat and noticed his jaw clench tightly,

"Don't start with me."

"Or what? You're going to finish what you started?"

He pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration and went ahead to grab his suitcase. I did one last touch on my makeup before getting up to grab my purse to leave.

"There better be a resignation letter somewhere in that lovely purse." He muttered, while going through some files in his hand,

"I'm not resigning, Luke." I muttered, scooting towards the door but in less than a second strong hands grabbed and jerked me abruptly,

"What did you say?!" he snarled, clasping me. I shrieked, trying to pull away, but he had an iron grip, shaking me back and forward as he yelled, "What do you mean you're not resigning?"

"You heard me. I'm not quitting my job so you can make yourself feel better, why don't you quit your job and take care of your kids as a good father should?" I spat and just when he raised his hands to strike me, the kids hurtled into the room,

"Mamma, mamma, James is making funny faces at me..."

Luke abruptly lets go of my arm, and we both turned and smiled at them. We always made sure not to hassle in front of the boys, the kids were absolutely clueless of the demons that haunted their father. I used the opportunity to escape his vice. "C'mon, boys." I quickly grabbed their hands and rushed out of the bedroom door.

"Bye, Daddy!" The kids chorused as I dragged them towards the door in a hurry. The whole time I could feel his burning gaze on my back. Oh, I shouldn't have provoked him.