Chapter 18

I stood in front of the mirror staring apprehensively at myself, my hair straightened and I'm wearing a black dress that hugged my body nicely, It rested above my knee and matched Luke's tie.

Luke and I were dressed to attend an event for his company, we would be matching like every other couple in the room. Luke wore black pants and a white shirt that he rolled up to his elbows, with a black tie, making him look even sexier,

He usually wears suits to these things but since it was really warm outside he decided against it.

Sighing, I smoothed my hands over my dress when Luke appeared behind me,

"You look fucking stunning-" he whispered, pressing his lips over my ear, "I should be worried?" he added and I smiled,

"This party was your idea." I tease.

"If I knew you would be looking this striking I wouldn't have even considered it. I can't have those men ogling over my wife." he said and I laughed, "Can you take it off?" He pleaded in my ear, his breath tickling the hairs on my neck as slipped his arms around my waist. "I'm sure you can find anything decent to wear."

I laughed at his demands,

"Luke, this is what I planned to wear for the party, those men would just have to swallow their balls." I said, walking away from him, "Come on, we can be late."

I went to check on Maria and the boys before leaving with Luke.

We arrived at the party and Luke tugged my waist protectively, whilst he introduced me to complete strangers, who were clearly important people investors in his company.

I forced a smile through every one of them and urged myself to withstand Luke's tight grip on my waist, it was as if he was afraid I would slip away with one of these men.

"With such a wife, no wonder your company is such a success, she's fucking gorgeous." One of Luke's friends lusted at me, slapping his hand against Luke's back with a jovial chuckle.

Luke doesn't take that lightly, but seeing we were in public he let it slide with a smile. His jaw clenching tightly as he gulped down the last few ounces of alcohol in the bottle.

Then he craned down to my ear, saying,

"See how they are gawking at you in that dress, you should leave us before I do something we would both regret." he growled.

I don't fight or argue,

"Sure." I said and his lips turned up into a lazy smile to hide his fury.

"Excuse me, gentlemen." I said politely to the men standing with Luke and turned to find a place to rest my feet, these heels are painful. Ignoring the stares I got from this rapacious men, I finally made it to the bar.

My head dropped abruptly on it, I was so sore between all of this, not to add my feet hurt.

I just wanted to return home and crawl into bed.

"Janelle?" A voice suddenly called, forcing me to raise my head. My lips quirked into a smile as I caught sight of the man in front of me.

"Jamie?" I exclaimed,

I stood up and he pulled me into a friendly hug.

"What are you doing here?"

We voiced question the same time and laughed afterward, Jamie was my very first client, the very first case I lost, It's been such a long time.

"I'm in town for a few days." He said gesturing me to sit with him, I smile and do, "I'm here for work, so I stay in this hotel."

I nodded with a smile understanding,

"Ur turn, what are you doing here?" He asks, which was a good question since there weren't a lot of women, the room was mostly littered with men in blacks suits drinking hard liquor and ranting over political matters.

"Um, I'm here with my husband."

"Husband? You're married now?" his tone somewhat read disappointment.

"I was always married, Jamie." I said amusingly.

"Woah." he exclaimed surprised.

"Yup, I even have kids now." I added.

"Wow.." he huffed out, his normal confident grin wearing off.

"What can I get you two lovies?" The bartender chimed in, grabbing our attention.

"Sex on the bitch." I said, having Jamie lopsiding a smile.

"And you, sir?"

"Martini is fine." he answered, "With extra olive."

"Uh, sure." The bartender left to get our orders,

"So, how old are your kids?"

"I have two boys, James and Joseph." I said and he raised an eyebrow at me suspiciously. I snickered, "Jamie, It's a coincidence I named my son James, so don't you dare get cocky now." I said, having him laughing out.

"And, I thought I left an impression-" Jamie was such a nice distraction from everything.

Sometime later...

"You should have seen their faces, I thought I would have gotten arrested right there." Jamie said something funny in between our chatter that had me laughing out loud.

"Cuddles."

A spike of panic sliced through me at the sound of that name.

I looked away from Jamie to see Luke, staring at us, his lips were turned to a menacing smile but only I knew the depth of fury behind them.

"I was wondering where you went. Now I see what's got your attention." Luke said, sneering me with his words, I knew I was in big trouble.

I cleared my throat, backing away from Jamie.

"Luke, this is Jamie. He used to be my client."

Luke hummed, locking his stare with Jamie, who remained perfectly calm.

Luke held a hand out to him.

"Nice to meet you, I'm the husband." Luke introduced himself like he was marking his territory around me. Jamie remained calm, a little amused with Luke's reaction.

"The pleasures are all mine, Janelle has told me all about you."

"Janelle?" Luke questioned.

"I call her Janelle, I always preferred it."

I couldn't take it anymore.

The room was starting to spin with these two men gazing at each other, hands gripping like some sort of superiority showcase.

I watched as Luke's face flinched and he retracted his hand from Jamie's, his face emanating with pure animosity for Jamie.

"It was nice to see you again, Janelle." Jamie reached and pecked my cheeks before smiling and walking away.

I snapped my eyes to Luke when were left alone,

"That was very unnecessary." I spat at Luke. "How could you have been so rude to him? Jamie was just trying to be nice-"

"You named your lover after our son!" He cut me abruptly.

"What!" I gasped,

"Let's go home, Janelle." his hand clutched around my waist, pulling me to his side roughly. A petrified gasp escaped my lips at the sudden action.