27

JANE

"We need to get that footage before the prosecution does, can you think of anyone else?"

"What if Luke found out about the cameras and took them out himself, perhaps it's how he knew I was leaving that night?" it just came to mind.

I didn't realize what a devious man I married until recently---

"It seems you are pregnant."

I laughed ruefully, "That's not possible.. I have been on the pill, I never miss it. Check it again, I'm sure there's a mistake."

"We did, twice, and remember there are no false positives, just negatives."

"How can I be on VF and be pregnant, I never miss a day. Can you see how insane that sounds?"

"Do you have them with you?" She asked.

I nodded, and with trembling hands, I reached out for them. "Here.." I handed it to her,

She adjusted her glasses and took a look at them. "And, you say these are VF's?" She asked and I nodded.

"I don't recommend VF's for my patients because they are extremely dangerous, way more dangerous than combination pills. But that doesn't mean I can't recognize them, so take my word when I say these are not VF's, they just seem alike... I believe someone is really putting an effort to get you pregnant again."

"That's another possibility--" Julia cut in between my thoughts.

"What are the doctors saying? Is there any hope of him waking up.." I muttered in a hushed tone.

"They are not saying much, We can only pray he makes it out alive, or this case is going to take a whole deeper route."

"I would be tried for murder." I muttered to myself.

"Yeah.." She agreed and I groaned.

The fourth day in court, I remained quiet as the court cross examined my friends, "My name is Amaya, I'm Jane's best friend, at least I thought I was."

"Moving on..."The prosecutor ignored her last statements. "Did you know Luke?"

"Who didn't know Luke?"

"And, how would you describe him?" he asked her.

"Luke was a good man, the best..."

The prosecutor stepped forward, "Care to elaborate to the court?"

"I mean, not only did he set me up with the most amazing Job, he took it upon himself to sponsor my wedding and other things included, how can you not love the man?" Everyone ranted praises of Luke, no one had an idea or clue of who he really was.

"How would you describe their marriage then?"

"They seemed perfect, you could tell they loved each other."

"Did Mrs. Hampton ever mention Luke being violent?"

"No!" Amaya gasped in alarm. "Luke violent? That man doesn't have a mean bone in his body, he's the nicest white man I have met---"

A series of witnessing went on, from friends to close relatives, all of them portraying Luke to be an angel sent from heaven.

"My name is Chante, I'm Jane's sister?"

"How would you describe Jane and Luke's relationship?"

"They were perfect, they had a lovely home and beautiful kids. Luke worshiped the ground Jane walked on..."

"You mean he loved her?"

"Yes!"

"Who was more vicious Jane and Luke?" he asked her suddenly.

"Objection!"

"Sustained."

"Is Jane capable of hurting anyone?" He rephrases.

"I have known Jane my whole life, she's not capable of hurting anyone....Although." She paused abruptly as if recalling a particular event,

"What is she doing?" Julia muttered under her breath, whilst watching Chante intently.

Chante continued, "Okay, there was this one time, I think it was Christmas, Luke and Jane had a huge fight in front of everyone, then out of nowhere Jane smacked Luke..."

"Why would she bring that up?" Julia exclaimed, I too was shocked she brought that up.

"She hit him?" The prosecution was surprised by her revelation. Chante nodded, looking anywhere but me. A string of witnesses took the stand after that, most of them people I didn't even know, who's this man?

"My name is Drake, I'm the pool guy. I work in the morning and leave at midway."

"So the Hampton's are your bosses?" The prosecutor asked.

"I guess.." he slurred.

"How do you mean?"

"Well, I have been working for the Hamptons for 2 months now and I have never ran into Mrs. Hampton once, she was always out when I clocked in the morning, her husband Luke was always the only I noticed when I came in for work."

"So how would you describe Mr. Hampton?"

He smiled. "Mr. Hampton was a very good man, the best boss I ever worked with. I washed the news, It's sad this happened to him, I owe him a lot.."

"How so?"

"Well, Just a few months ago I had a bit of an insurance issue and I needed money urgently. I was scared to approach him for an advance, but Mr. Hampton turned out to be a very nice and friendly person, not only did he give me the advance I asked for, he said I could keep the money and always come by if I needed anything else."

"Would you describe such a man as violent?"

"No, not at all.."

"We need to find those tapes, Jane." Julia whispered to me. "This case has taken a whole new route..."