88

Sometime later.....

I sat in an enclosed room, with only the sound of the clock on the wall ticking. .

A cup of coffee sat on the metal table in front of me, black and steaming.

I waited for a short time before the door opened with a faint creaking sound.

Luke walked in followed by a nurse. He was in a patient's uniform and he looked stressed.

The nurse who'd lead him to me, walked away without uttering so much as a single word.

I stayed quiet drinking the coffee that kept me sane, Before now, I had prepared a lot of things to say to him, I've practiced a lot, and Now... Now, I don't know where to start.

"You look great," he said with a smile.

"I can't say the same." I replied.

They couldn't pin him with a conspiracy, so they sent him on a mental recess. .. Typical.

"You look like shit." I added.

"I told you I couldn't live without you."

"You're just full of shit."

He chuckled, and then leaned back to take a proper look at me,

"How are you, Jane?"

"Alive..."

I staggered to say the next words.

"You?"

"Getting the hang of it," he whispered, and took a glimpse outside. He doesn't take off his gaze.

I took a peek at what he was focused on, but there was nothing there, just an empty tree, the way he's gaping at it, you would think there was someone there calling out for him.

"Luke?" I touched his hand, and he startled. "What are you looking at?"

"Joseph." he slurred.

"What..?"

He caught my gaze and smiled distantly.

I soon realized why I had run out of words, he wasn't the same, I was informed about his condition, but I didn't believe it, "I didn't think you would come." he said.

"Me neither." I'm utterly pathetic.

"I missed you." I faltered when he reached for my hand, but I let him. "Cuddles." he smirked.

"Crazy bastard." I snatched my hand from his and chuckled, he's been pretending this whole time, I can't believe I almost fell for it. "You think you can fool everyone into believing you've changed, you think I can just forget you killed our son."

"It was an accident." he spurted.

"No, you put up that fire, you set the scene that killed our son, for what? Just to teach me a lesson, and as a result, you wrecked all our lives."

"You think I killed our son, he was my favorite too, Jane, I loved him just as much, it kills me every time I think about it---" He did look pained.

"You know that nightmare, the one you relieve every night, the one that sacred and then made you a monster, James is reliving it now... I really hope you're satisfied?!"

I noticed how his demeanor changed all so sudden, his body movements became tighter, his smiles became shorter, and silence longer.

"Can we not fight, I-I really just want to look at you." he wheezed.

"You're right, let's not fight." I grabbed my purse and pulled out the papers, which is the only reason I came, "I need you to sign these documents, you insisted I show up without the lawyers, here I am, now sign." I shifted the papers to him.