67

"Sam, I'm sorry, this has nothing to do with you, and everything to do with me, I'm just not--" I tried to choose the right words, I didn't want to hurt his feelings anymore. Sam is a great guy, he treats me nice, I should be grateful, but it's not enough, I always feel like there's something missing, maybe I'm just not ready for a relationship, "I'm sorry--"

"To be honest, I never thought we would last a month," he said and laughed.

"Me neither."

"Still friends." He offered me a hand.

I took it with a smile,

"Friends, of course."

"Good, I wouldn't have to hide my face in shame when I see you at the office."

"We are more matured than that." I said and we laughed shortly. The waiter walks back with our other, there's a bay of silence as she placed the order in front of us.

"Thanks," I whispered as she left.

"So what now?" Sam spoke again.

"I'm just going to focus on my kids, that's all I care about right now."

"And, Luke?"

"What about Luke?"

"I figured you two are getting back together."

"No, Luke and I are divorced.. And it's going to remain that way."

"He's clearly still in love with you."

"Well, sometimes love is just not enough."

"What happened? If you don't mind me asking. I don't understand how to people who are clearly still in love with each would even consider a divorce."

"People fall apart."

"That's not the case here, is it?"

"It's complicated, and that's all I can say, so don't ask."

He muses and doesn't add to that, I took it as a call to leave before I start spilling things I shouldn't, after everything he's done why do I still feel the need to protect him? I must be out of my mind.

"I should go." I got up,

"I have a meeting so I would be here for a while."

I nodded understanding,

"Once again, I'm sorry, Sam."

"It's fine, Jane. I'll see you at the office."

I smiled at him and left. I walked down to the parking lot and got into my car with a sigh, I sat back for a while and prepared myself before driving home.

I got home and turned on the lights, the kids are at mamma's for the weekend so it's just me in this empty house.

I sighed as I took off my heels and everything else, I went to the bathroom and took a quick shower, it's been a crazy day.

Then, I turned it off and stepped out grabbing a nearby towel,

I dried myself off as I walked out of the room and caressing the warm, soft fabric of my nightwear, I laid to fall asleep when I heard my phone buzz.

I reached and grabbed the device with a sigh, only to realize it was Luke, why did I think for a second it would be anyone else? I didn't want to open it but I couldn't resist it.

Luke: Hey, you awake.

I stared at the text for a good few seconds before replying.

Me: What do you want Luke?

Luke: Look out your window.

What, I got up quickly and ambled to the window to see Luke standing across the street, what's he doing?

"What do you think you're doing?" I yelled.

I watched him type something into his phone.

Luke: See a movie with me?

I snorted at the text, before texting back.

Me: What are you 12? Go away.

Luke: I would stand here all night if I have to.

I scoffed at his reply.

Me: Suit yourself, Goodnight.

I turned around and went to bed.

I settled back in bed even though it was only eight o'clock and decided to read a book but, I failed to concentrate, instead I kept wondering if Luke was still standing outside, it's a crazy neighborhood, looking the way he looks he could get mobbed or worse beaten.

I shot out of bed and went to check on him again, only to find him still standing there, what's wrong with him? I also caught sight of some hoodlums checking out his ride.

"Oh, dear lord."

I went to get ready quickly and went down to meet him,

"Are you crazy? Who brings a Lamborghini to a hood like this?"

"I just want a night with you, Jane. Grant me that chance to prove myself to you..." I stared at him with a sigh, I tried to be annoyed but I couldn't, this man was beyond annoying, "Cuddles, I would stand here all night if I have to.."