Chapter 12

Jane

"Hi?" I gasped when I walked into my office after winning a case. Luke is leaned against my desk in Jeans and a White T-shirt.

"Hi." He says, beaming at me.

"Luke, what's going on?" I walk in, closing the door behind me.

"I thought we'd celebrate your win." He holds up a bottle of champagne as he approached me,

"Oooh."

He grins.

"Do you have glass cups?" He asks.

I nodded and went over to the cabinet beside the window to grab glasses, a little nervous, this was the same case we've been brawling about for months and now he wants to celebrate,

It just didn't feel right.

I returned back to him to find peeking at something at my desk,

"You've taking another case already?"

I placed the cups before answering, "I handle different cases Like. I'm a lawyer."

"Don't you take breaks? Or perhaps you can ask for a leave." Crap... This is probably going to lead to another fight, "You know, you can just say you would think about it, rather than going quiet on me."

"I will think about it?" I murmur, I don't want to fight. He gives me brief wolfish smile before reaching for my hand.

I take his hand and he pulled me closer.

"I got you something." he reached to his left pocket and I stared perplexily as he pulled out a black box.

"What's?" I trailed.

He opened it and I gaped.

In the box were new pairs of diamond earrings.

I stared at it blankly, trying desperately to determine how I feel about these gifts. "Do you like them?" he says handing them to me, I take them from him not knowing exactly what to say, he's been spoiling me with gifts, upon gifts.

Not only did he buy me a house a few days ago, he got me a new car, even a change of wardrobe, I am grateful but everything that's been happening just feels a lot.

I'm still trying to catch my breath from all this attention,

Or am I overreacting? His intentions are good, he's trying to change, I mean he's changed, he hasn't laid a finger on me for days,

It almost feels unreal.

Even in moments when I expect him to react and hit me, he wouldn't, instead he would just hiss and walk away.

"I don't know what to say."

He gazed quietly at me as I took out the rings and admired them, this looks really expensive.

I swallow convulsively,

"Luke, this are too much."

"You don't like them?"

"No.." I cut in quickly, "I love them, it's just a lot."

"You see, this is what I'm talking about, you're still not happy."

"Luke, I didn't say that..." I let out quickly, before he would jump into conclusions.

"It's a gift, Jane. Can't you just say thank you?"

"But you know it's too much. We've been spending a lot Luke, I'm just concerned that we might not be able to breakthrough after this."

"I want to take care of you and that's the end of this discussion. It's very simple. You don't have to think about this."

"Well, as your wife, it's my job to worry about our future."

"As your husband, who makes thrice as much as you do, I'm asking you not to, I'm a rich man, Jane and I can take of my wife."

I sigh, giving in.

"At least tell me if you like them?"

"They are lovely." I sigh.

He eyes me suspiciously, but concedes.

"Let's try them on then?"

I nodded, allowing him to put them on me, he finished and stepped back to admire me like some prized possession.

"You look beautiful, Jane." he says and I quirked up a smile, looking down at my fingers.

Luke places a finger under my chin and tilts my head to him, his expression grave as he stares down at me.

"I'm going to give you the world Jane and be that one man you deserve..." he leans down and presses a chaste kiss on my lips before releasing me.

"Luke, I want you to be a better version of yourself. I don't care about the gifts or money. I just want us to be okay, I want to be happy with you and the boys-"

I stopped when I noticed his expression change.

"You're not happy with me?" he muttered.

I sighed,

"That's not I'm saying..."

"That's what you're implying...."

"I'm happy with you, Luke." I told him once and for all, "But I'd love a moment where we don't fight and brawl over little things like now, why can't we have a normal conversation?"

"Jane!" He runs his hand through his hair, irked and completely frustrated with me.

"I just left my company in the middle of the day to spend time with you, that's all. So let's just have champagne."

"I'm sorry.." I whispered, feeling guilty.

"It's okay..." his tone gets softer, "Can you smile now?"

I forced a smile, "That's better." he murmurs and picks up the champagne, He takes off the foil top and cage, twists the bottle rather than the cork, opening it with a small pop.

"This looks expensive.." I mumbled as he filed the cups. "And, very blue." I added.

"1996 Dom Perignon Rose Gold Methuselah" He says with relish.

"Oooh, fancy..." I laughed and he grinned.

"Congratulations on your win, Dear wife." he pecks my cheeks and we clink cups.

"Thank you." I murmured and took a sip.

He smiled at me, and I blushed hard.

Ten years and he still has the same effects on me.

Then taking my hand, he leads me to the red couch in my office, where we sit and he tugs me protectively in his arms.

Where we chatted and laughed about almost everything,

"There aren't a lot of rooms for your den, Luke."

"Or perhaps, we can get the boys, especially Joseph to compromise his new room for my project."

"My baby is not giving up his new room for your man cave." I said and he laughed,

"You say it like it's a cult."

"Well, it might as well be..." I said and he poured me another glass.

We kept on talking on the couch, until we were almost drunk.

"Jane, stop tempting me with your lips....It's taking all my self-control not to fuck you right now." Luke groaned out loud.

I smirked at him,

"Why so lenient , Mr. Hampton?"

Just as the words left my lips.

He grabbed me suddenly and yanked me up against his body, kissing me passionately and forcing my lips apart with his,

My blood heats immediately, and I'm returning his kiss with my own passion.

I wanted him badly,

Things started to get intense and just when it got hotter somebody cleared their throat, having us gaping and quickly pulling apart. We turned around to see Amaya standing there awkwardly.