Chapter 7

I woke up the next morning realizing I had a housing case, I usually don't indulge in civil cases but the client was a childhood friend of mine from way back.

So I couldn't look away.

When I arrived at work Ruth informs me that the client, Richard Coswell is already waiting in my office.

I sighed.

"Can we have coffee, please?" I tell her and she nods as I walked into my office to see Richard standing there, his back was turned to me but quickly spurned when he sensed someone in the room.

"Hey," I whispered.

"Hey, Jane." he smiled.

I throw in a faint one going around my desk. "Sorry, I'm late," I tell him and he nodded understanding taking a seat.

"It's a nice office you've got here," he noted and I smiled politely.

"Thank you." I responded and quickly dived into the issue at hand, "So it's been asserted to me that the landlord of the building you stay in as violated the contract by not supplying water for almost 3 months now, is that correct?"

"Yes, and this is not the first time this is happening. The first time was lack of electricity for a week, I made use of rechargeables and candles to make use of the day. I didn't complain or say anything to him because I didn't want to make a scene or cause trouble. But I can't anymore, you see my girlfriend just moved in with me and she's not so tolerable." he said and I nodded understanding.

"Do you have your contract?" I asked.

"Yeah, I handed it to your assistant," he said.

"And, this issue pertaining to your apartment alone?" I asked.

"No, it's the whole building."

As we examined further into the situation Ruth steps in with a tray of coffee and a blue folder, scurrying towards the desk, she gently places each coffee cup in front of us before speaking.

"Ma'am, we were able to analyze the contact and we found something." She says opening the folder to me, pointing at a clause. "It says if ever a tenant wanted to sue, they are required to put in 2 weeks notice before taking any legal action."

"I don't remember signing to that." Richard chimed hastily.

"You weren't aware of this?" Ruth asks him and he shook his head.

I sighed, "landlord's especially this tricky ones fix claws like this, so they can repair the situation before you contact an attorney." I said.

"So is there anything we can do? I can't move out, I'm out of money and a job right now," he asked in a low tone. I took a moment thinking before glancing up at Ruth.

"What time is the hearing?" I asked.

"10 am, ma'am."

I glanced at the time noticing I had a few minutes before I had to appear in court for the Mackenzie case, "Okay, let's fix it 9 Am tomorrow, Ruth and I would stop by at the apartment in the morning to speak with the landlord, I hope that's okay?"