58

Jane

It's been a week and I haven't heard from Luke or the kids, he's not answering the phone and mama won't let me go over there to see him, at this point, I'm swimming in worry.

"I can't take this any longer!"

I got dressed and hurried downstairs.

"Where are you going?" Mamma stops me on the way.

"I need to see my children, Mamma. " I grabbed her car keys.

She exhaled deeply, "Jane, we agreed to see a psychologist today,"

"I'm just going to see my kids, don't you care about your grandchildren?"

"Of course, I care about my grandbabies, but the lawyer asked to wait for the court set for a day."

"I'm not sitting here another week without seeing my kids, who knows what's happened over there and why he hasn't called or showed up here?"

"I'm coming with you."

I shook my head,

"No, I'm doing this alone."

"Jane, what if that man hurts you again?"

"Nothing would happen mamma, I promise."

"Fine..." She sighed in defeat, "But if I don't hear from you in an hour, I'm coming over there with the cops, I don't care."

I threw her a smile before running out of the door, just when I stepped out of the door a Suv pulled over in the driveway.

"Who's that?" My stepped out,

The door opened and Frank jumped out of the car, he waves at us and opened the backseat,

"Mamma!"

The boys came down and ran towards me, I grinned and bent down to hold them in my arms, it felt like forever since I held them.

I then pulled away to look at them properly,

"Are you okay?"

They nodded simultaneously, before reaching out to mamma. I watched them for a while before walking over to Frank,

"Hey."

"Hey." He smiles.

"What happened?"

"Luke's mother stopped by last night and asked me to bring the boys, I don't know what happened. I'm heading to the house to check on Luke, you should come?"

I glanced at Mamma with pleading eyes.

"C'mon boys, grandma would make you some hot chocolate." she shook her head with a sigh and took the boys inside.

"Is this a bad time?" Frank waves in.

"No, let's go." I said and got in the car with him. He started to drive and I leaned back on the seat, trying to ease myself of how awkward this is.

"You okay?" He muttered after a while.

"I didn't know you were still friends." I muttered.

"I never stopped caring about him, Jane. he's my friend and I worry about him almost every day. .."

"What do you think happened to him?"

"She didn't say." He said.

I sighed even more worried. I had the feeling something was wrong,

"I heard you filed for a divorce, that must be it. The Luke I know would rather punish himself than live without you..."

"You make it sound like it's my fault, like I'm the cause of whatever has happened to him...If anyone should be blamed for any of this it should be you, you were his only friend, he relied on you for almost everything and you abandoned him when he needed you the most."

He laughs shockingly,

"You expected me to stick around after we slept together, which is really the conversation you're trying to avoid here, you've been doing it for years."

"Let's just drop this?" I became quickly irritated by the subject.

Each of us don't say anything for a while.

"For what's worth, Jane. I'm glad you're walking away, not for anyone but for yourself."

"You knew."

"I saw the scars, every inch of them. You tried to hide them."

I sunk in on the chair uncomfortable,

"Can we not talk anymore?"

"Yeah, of course."

"Thanks."

He pulled over at the house and turned off the car to get out but I stopped him.

"Can you wait for a second?"

He snickered but nodded understanding.

"Thanks."

I got down from the car and stepped into the house with my spare key.

I searched all of downstairs for him and no sign of him. His car is outside, which meant he was home.

"Luke?" I yelled, running up the stairs.

I checked the room and still no sign of him,

Just when I gave up trying, I heard a noise, a strange noise.. I followed the sound and it led me down to the basement. "LUKE!" I screamed when I saw him lying in a pool of blood.