38

Jane

The entire ride home Luke seemed calm, too calm, he would speak and look at me every once in a while with a genuine boyish smile, not once did he bring up what happened in court.

The old Luke would flip, knowing I tried to disclose him in court. I didn't know what to make of it, has he really changed?

Luke has changed every time for the last ten years, but this time it felt different, it was almost like he was a new person.

We arrived at the house and Luke hurried around to help me out of the car, "My Queen." He took my hand in his and escorted me inside,

I was relieved to be home.

"What's all this?" I walked into a decorated dining table, it had everything from food to drinks, "Are we expecting someone?"

"Not exactly.." he helped me sit as I took in everything.

"I presumed after the case you would be tired." He reached and served me a plate, "I had Maria prepare all your favorite meals... Besides, It's not easy to win your first case."

"I have won a lot of cases, Luke." I reminded him.

"Of course, I'm very aware, my wife is a successful career woman, but this win is different, it marks a start of a new beginning for us, let's drink to that." he poured us a glass, and handed mine to me, "To family."

"To family."

We click glasses,

I took a small sip and smiled.

He did the same and then leaned to kiss me,

I was in cloud 9.

So much so that I forgot my own kids, I looked around wearily, the house was neat and quiet, "Where are the boys?"

"I had Maria take them for Ice cream, they should be here soon--" just as he said it, the boys and Maria came running into the room.

"Are we having a party?" They exclaimed simultaneously, having me laughing.

"We are indeed having a party, we are celebrating Mama's victory." Luke said, gathering everyone, "Boys have your seat, you too Maria."

"Oh, no sir.. I can't." She refused shyly.

"Don't be stubborn, have a seat, you are very well part of the family now, we appreciate you and what you do for us, though it might seem otherwise.."

"It's an honor, sir.."

Maria was reluctant but she finally gave in to his pleas and sat between the kids. Luke quickly reached and served each of them a plate..

Something was off,

I couldn't exactly pinpoint what, it felt unreal. It seemed I had been so absorbed in the sadness that I didn't know what happiness felt like anymore.

I should be satisfied,

I saved Joseph from being branded. I returned home and Luke, Luke was different, he was laughing and telling tales, he was being sweet and an ideal husband.

The Luke I married wouldn't have appreciated Maria for her work, talk less of asking her to join the table--

I had to stop thinking too much and enjoy the dream before it ended, I told myself.

After that moment, Luke and I went up stairs, leaving Maria to clean up and put the kids to bed, "It's been a long day." I groaned as I took off my clothes in front of the closet mirror,

Each time I felt relief seeing all my saves were fading.

"The days isn't over yet.." Luke walked into the closet holding a necklace, "I also got you this.." he stood behind me and wore it on my neck, it was a sparklingly beautiful Diamond necklace.

"It's beautiful.." I whispered, staring at it.

"It cost a fortune.." his lips mumbled out against my skin as he drove his head into the crook of my neck, almost snuggling himself into me.

There was a scar on my collarbone that discerned the beauty of the necklace on my neck, Luke must have noticed it too because he suddenly seemed uncomfortable.

"It's fine.." I tried to hide it, but he stopped me.

Uncovering them to his eyes again,

"I'm so sorry, Jane. I never meant to hurt you, I always regret it afterward all the time. But in that comma, I realized...." Abruptly, Luke lifted his head from my neck and turned me to him, "I realized you and the boys are my everything, my entire world. I don't know what I would do if you leave me. Lying on that bed for days, I got a taste of how that felt and I can't go through that again, I-I can't lose you, cuddles."

Little by little, Luke broke into tears.

"Luke---"

"I love you so goddamn much it tears me to pieces to think about you leaving me." He lowered himself to his knees in front of me and wrapped his arms around my stomach, pulling me as close to his body as he possibly could.

I honestly didn't know how to feel, we've been in this exact position so many times that I couldn't differ anymore.