Chapter 17

"The pounds of makeup wasn't my first hint." She said and a shudder ran through me. she snickered, continuing, "Let me guess, first you would smear orange concealer to cover the bruises and then you would apply a second layer of concealer that matches your skin tone, then do the same thing to the other side so people wouldn't notice the difference."

My muscles tightened as a fierce thrill of terror sliced through me, but I can't succumb. I wouldn't give in that easily and let the secret that I had protected for so long makes its way into the light of day,

I've worked so hard to safeguard it. I have covered so many bruises and concocted a lot of excuses to protect Luke's shortcomings to throw him off the bus like this.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about-" My words came out ineloquently but I managed to appear unmoved, "I should go-" I turn to hurry out of the door when her next words halted.

"You know for someone who's so smart you are not a very good liar." She said,

"I'm not lying, Luke is an amazing husband. You're making a mistake." I defended my husband,

"Who said anything about Luke?" She said and my breath shortened,

"There's no shame. I have been through every stage." She continued, "the denial, the guilt, the acknowledgment, the realization and you must be in your denial stage." She said in amusement.

My heart began to strum harder and harder against my chest and in the spiral of emotion, I said.

"That's all in the past now and I would appreciate if you don't speak ill of my husband." I raised my voice.

This would be the first time I'm discussing this with someone else other than myself.

She laughed,

"Let guess, he says he's changed, swearing he would never do it again and being suddenly overly romantic with gifts and sweet gestures...You're in your honeymoon period, honey. It's only temporary, that's where the abuser is on his best behavior, luring you into thinking that you're safe and things really will be different..."

At this point I was shaking visibly and my head was spinning into an overload of realization and it worsened as she continued,

"I have been through every stage with four different men, I have had seven miscarriages, had six ribs surgeries, one limp surgery and now I'm at the point where I can't bear any more children. That and more is all it took me to realize I deserve more than these scumbags give me and I would rather be alive for my children or God knows what would happen to them if I'm gone."

"I'm sorry that happened to you-" I cut in with a cough, "I really am." I sympathized with her, "But that's not Luke, Luke his a good husband, and an exceptional father, he's just been through a lot in his childhood and he's been talking through it in counseling, he's getting better and things have been a lot better since he started."

"How long have you been married?"

"Ten years." I answered proudly, her eyes widened in shock, "And, we have two sweet boys." I added. "And, we might not have the best marriage, but we have a scheme that works, we fight and we argue a lot but we love each other, deeply-" I panting out-breath by the time I finished.

"Wow..." She huffed out, "I never thought I would say this to another woman in my situation, but you're one crazy lady."

I gasped offended,

"You are one to talk. Why haven't you left Frank if he's so horrible as you claim?" I raised my voice. I wouldn't betray Luke like that after he apologized and had begun trying to make up for all the harm he caused me for the last ten years.

"It's only been five years for me and I feel like I'm losing my mind. The only reason I'm still with Frank is because he has Kaleb, my son. He as him hidden somewhere, he took him away so I won't leave him and I don't know where, I can't leave without my baby."

"Have filled a complaint?"

She let out a gaged laugh, "Have you seen where we live? it's a hoodlum, in the middle of nowhere, cops don't even think of coming around here."

"I'm sorry about that, " I whispered, "If there's anything I can do.."

She shook her head, "I can't risk anything happening to Kaleb, Kaleb is not Frank's. So he won't hesitate to hurt him.."

I nodded,

"I should go now-"

She nodded and escorted me to the door,

She walked me to the gate and let out a laugh suddenly,

"What?"

"Nothing... I mean, it's just weird having someone like you here-"

"Someone like me?"

"Bourgee." She said and I raised an eyebrow, "Rich." She clarified, looking towards my car and I ohed in actualization-

I smiled, not knowing what to say to that,

It was nice to see you, Mrs. Mendes." I said instead,

She chuckled, "Just call me, Olivia."

"Take care, Olivia." I said hysterically,

She smiled back before her expression went frightened, "For your sake, I really hope he's changed." She said,

I gulped, before nodding and hurrying towards my car.

I arrived home that night to find Luke, doing the dishes while humming to a song.

I stood and pondering at him for a while before he noticed me standing there, staring.

He must have sensed someone watching him because he turned towards the door, then seeing me he beamed.

"See what you like?" I teased and I just kept staring at him, that's when he sensed something was wrong, "Cuddles.." he dried his hand and hovered to me. "Are you okay?" I don't answer, I don't even want to think anymore, then lunging towards him, I pulled him into a deep kiss.