Chapter 26

JANE

"He hits me, you know that, but not once have you brought it up to them." I scolded my lawyer.

"Jane, you are lawyer, the best there is. What do you think would happen if we bring that up now? It would turn this whole case around, it would give them a motive, one we have no way of proving---"

"What if there is?" I cut in.

"How, Jane?"

"Just a few months ago, I had surveillance cameras installed in the whole house." I muttered and her eyes gaped open at me. I know I should have mentioned it before.

"Jane, why are just telling me this?" She gasped.

"I'm sorry, it just came to me."

"Do you know what would happen if the prosecution get their hands on those cameras? The least you could get is a life sentence."

"I know, I'm sorry... I'm haven't been thinking straight."

"I'm going to get a tech guy I know on the phone and we are going to destroy those cameras, before anyone gets their hand on them. I still can't believe you are just telling me now... If there is anything else you are not telling you better spill it now."

I shook my head, "No."

"Okay... It's fine.." She gathered her things, "I'm going to get on those cameras, in the meantime if you remember anything else just make sure to tell me. I'm going to get you out of here, but you have to help me too."

I nodded, "How's my babies?"

"They are fine, I managed to get them out of foster care and to your mom as you asked, they are okay."

I sighed and nodded in relief,

"Everything is going to be okay." She assured me again, I tried to be hopeful, even though my thoughts are spiraling, everything is happening so fast, one minute I was ready to leave Luke and start a new life, and the next thing I'm here, proving my innocence against the same man I was trying to run from. This must be a nightmare. "Is there anything else you need, I need to head on those cameras."

"Yeah.... I need you to help me get to someone, her name is Olivia Mendes, she could help, she's the only one I told Luke hits me, she knows everything.... She even... Gave me the, uh, um...gun."

She scoffed and raised her hand against her forehead in disbelief, before pulling out her notepad, "What did you say her name was again?"

"Olivia Caroline Mendez...she used to be a client and she stays at the north side, where the explosion happened."

"Got it." She said, gathering her things to leave. "All right...I would get in touch with her." She said, "Be safe, Jane..."

I nodded, "Thanks..."

A few days later, I was dragged out of my holding cell to court for my trial. "Can I have a moment with client?" Julia approached as we stepped in court.

The officers nodded and stepped aside,

"Those cameras are gone, Jane." She spurted,

"What's that supposed to mean?" I panicked.

"There are no cameras, not even a trace." she said and I gasped in shock.

"How's that even possible?"

"Who else knew about the cameras?"

"Mike and then I told Olivia. No one else."

"And, you trust this Olivia woman?"