40

The kids and I escorted Luke to the airport, he was leaving finally, "I love you." He snarled his arms around my waist, hauling me to him, not minding we were in public,

"I love you.." He demanded.

"I love you too." I managed and he kissed me, before bending down to the kids.

"How long are you going away?" The boys asked, very sad that their father was leaving,

"I'll be gone for a while." He assured them, "Be good boys, I don't want to hear any complaints while I'm gone."

"Can we visit?" Joseph added.

"Kids aren't allowed where I'm going."

"Will you call?"

"Every day." He promised them, "You have to make me a promise too." He paused and looked up at me, "You have to promise not to stress mama, she's going to need a lot of support, you have to take care of her, promise?"

"Promise." They agreed simultaneously.

"Good." He hugged and kissed them before reaching up to me again.

"Call if anything goes wrong." He whispered.

I threw in a smile and he kissed me again,

"Cuddles." He greased his lips at the crook of my neck and then gripped my arm tightly, whispering, "Be here when I get back."

Those were his last words to me before turning to leave.

My eyes were strained on Luke's retreating back as he walked away and stalked towards his boarding gate.

I seemed to have frozen in my own thoughts,

"Mamma--" The boys dragged me out of it, "Can we go now, dad is gone. It's weird just standing here."

I got my senses together and led them out of the airport door, "Mamma, when am I going back to school?" Joseph asked as we walked back to the car.

"I don't know.." Luke said to have him rehabilitated, but I had other plans.

"You're going to be homeschooled." James teased.

"You're lying." Joseph cried.

"It's true, I heard Mrs. Mary, say she's going to be your home teacher and she's bringing her cane..."

"Stop it.." They start chasing each other, bickering and irritating me.

"Stop with the nonsense and just get in the car!" I snapped, having Joseph rushing into the back seat,

"Mamma, can I get in the front?"

"Buckle up." I told him and he beamed jumping into the front.

"Next time I sit in front, I'm the smallest, that means I'm the favorite, right mamma?"Joseph whined as I fastened him properly.

"You're the baby. Baby, baby-.." James taunted, having them squabbling all over again. I rolled my eyes with a headache, and just closed the door.

I took a second before getting in and starting the car.

Halfway down the road, I took out my phone and searched for Olivia's lawyer's address. I scheduled to pick Olivia's kid today and, as James and Joseph recited their old rhymes I thought of how I was going to manage four kids, I could barely handle two without Luke.

With that in mind, I drove to the address and met Olivia's lawyer, "Please, do come in and make yourself comfortable."

The boys and I walked into her home and took a seat in the living room,

"Are these your kids? They are lovely."

I smiled,

"Thank you." I said and brushed the boys slightly.

"Let me get them." She ran upstairs to get the kids. The boys and I remained quietly seated, waiting for her to return.

"Mamma, who's that lady?"

"Which kids?"

They start to murmur...

"Shhhh." I hushed them.

The lawyer soon re-entered with the children and their bags, the boys and got up to receive them, "Anty Jane, you are here." Mia ran and held me.

"How are you, Mia?"

"I'm alright." She answered.

"And Jack, how are you?"

He doesn't reply,

"He hasn't said a word." The lawyer cut in, "he must still be in shock." I couldn't blame him, after what they did to him and everything he had to go through at such a young age, it's impossible not to be traumatized. "Mia and Jack, you would be staying with Anyg Jane and her family, is that okay?"

Mia nodded happily and Jack just remained quiet, staring at the boys. "Boys, why don't you take Jack and Mia to the car, I would be right with you."

They nodded and grabbed them along.

"What's your name?"

"Mia, and this is Jack, he doesn't say much."

"I'm Joseph---" The kids conversed as they went.

We both watch them for a while, "That's a lot of kids, are you sure you can handle it?" The lawyer said and handed me their bags.

"It can't be that bad..." I told myself.

"Your husband is okay with this? He must be a very understanding man, mine would have frowned at the idea."

"He's out of town, so.... It's just me."

"If you like I could get you someone to help out with the kids.." She offered.

"No, I would manage, besides the kids and I would be moving soon. I should be able to drop Mia and Jack in New York before getting away."

"Where would you be going?" She became curious.

"I dunno...We haven't decided yet.." I smiled at her and got myself ready to leave, "I should go, thank you."

She smiled back, "I'm just glad to help somehow, Olivia was a very lovely person and her kids deserved better, especially Jack. Do make sure they get professional help, I can't imagine what goes on in their little heads, and if you ever need anything don't hesitate to call." I nodded and with that, we were on our way.

Liesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें