CHAPTER FIVE

CHARLES'S PLEA

Charles sat across from Kathleen in the little bakery shop while waiting for her response, his hands nervously fidgeting. But when he saw that she wasn't responding he decided to continue.

"Kathleen, we've been apart for years, and i think it's time for me to meet our daughter. I want to be a part of her life", Charles said, his voice filled with hope and longing.

Kathleen's eyes narrowed, her mouth tightening into a thin line. Her reaction didn't surprise Charles but it still caused his heart to sink with unease. He hadn't expected her to be estatic about the idea, but her cold demeanor caught him off guard.

"You want to meet Lana?" Kathleen scoffed, bitterness lacing her words.

"After everything you put us through? You think you can just waltz back into our lives after abandoning us?".

Charles recoiled at Kathleen's harshness, the pain etching line across his face. He glanced around the bakery, aware that the customers could hear the tension in their conversation. He leaned closer, his voice dropping to a whisper.

"Kathleen, she's my daughter too. I have a right to get to know her"

Kathleen's anger flared, her eyes blazing with an intensity Charles hadn't seen before.

"You think a simple biological connection gives you the right? You abandoned me, Charles. You left me alone to raise Lana by myself, fine you didn't know but still. Look we already learnt to build a life without you. We don't need you now".

Charles grasped Kathleen's hands, pleading with her to understand.

"I know I've made mistakes, Kathleen. I've carried the weight of those mistakes with me everyday since you left. But now i want to make things right. I want to be there for both lana and you now, to be the father and boyfriend i should have been".

Tears welled up in Kathleen's eyes, her face contorting with conflicting emotions.

"It's too late, Charles. Lana and i don't need you now. I've learnt to be a strong, independent mother despite your absence. We've built a life together. Just the two of us. We're doing just fine without you".

Charles felt the weight of Kathleen's words press against his chest stealing his breath.

"Please Kathleen", Charles pleaded, his voice raw with emotion. "Give me a chance to prove myself. I'll be patient, understanding. I won't force you to do anything, please let's just try".