CHAPTER SIXTY-FIVE

WITH EVERY FIBRE OF MY BEING, I LOVE YOU

Charles couldn't believe his ears. His heart raced as he asked Matthew to repeat what he had just said. Matthew obliged, repeating what he just said that Kathleen had rejected him because she was still in love with Charles. A surge of joy flooded through Charles, overwhelming him with the prospect of finally being with the woman he had been longing for. Without hesitation, he thanked Matthew, telling him that he would treat Kathleen well, his words echoing in the crisp evening air, and excused himself, leaving his Matthew standing in front of the restaurant as he rushed to his waiting car.

As Charles settled into the plush backseat, he couldn't help but anticipate the moment he would see Kathleen. He had dreamt of this day countless times ever since he set out to win her over again, imagining the happiness that would fill her eyes, mirroring the love that consumed him. The smile never left his face, a beacon of hope and excitement as he directed his driver to take him to Kathleen's bakery.

The streets blurred past, oblivious to Charles's racing heart. He mulled over the conversation he just had with Matthew in his mind, why did he never notice the signs, signs that she too felt the magnetic pull between them. Forgetting about that, his resolve grew stronger, knowing this was the moment to figure out everything.

As his car came to a stop outside Kathleen's bakery, Charles couldn't wait any longer. Without a second thought, he bolted out of the car, his eyes anxiously scanning the surroundings, searching for a glimpse of her. There she was, just as he had envisioned, closing up her bakery for the night. He felt his heart skip a beat, his steps faltering for a moment before finding their rhythm again.

Kathleen turned and, seeing someone rushing toward her, instinctively tensed, her heart racing in her chest. Fear gripped her momentarily, until her eyes met Charles's, and recognition swept over her. Relief washed over her, replacing her fear with curiosity and a sense of longing. "Charles, what's going on?" she asked, her voice tinged with curiousity.

But before she could finish her sentence, Charles cut her off by gently turning her around. His hands found hers, holding them firmly but tenderly. A smile danced on his lips as he leaned in, his heart thudding against his chest. And then it happened – his lips met hers in a soft, passionate kiss.

Time seemed to stand still as their connection deepened, their bodies and souls intertwining in a symphony of sweet surrender. It was as if the universe, too, reveled in their embrace, bearing witness to a long-awaited reunion that sent shockwaves of euphoria through Charles.

When they finally parted, breathless and with eyes locked, Charles whispered, "I love you, Kathleen. With every fiber of my being, I love you."