CHAPTER TEN

SPENDING SOME HOURS WITH LANA

"Is she okay? Why does she look so afraid?", Charles angrily asked.

The teacher sighed and glanced over at Lana.

"Lana has never seen you before i presume. She's been told to be cautious around strangers, and i think it's making her a little bit scared".

Charles's heart sank, he knew that Kathleen had a responsibility to protect their daughter, he could only blame himself for being absent in his daughter's life.

He took a deep breath, trying to gather his thoughts in the midst of this unexpected situation. Charles walked towards Lana, ensuring he had a warm smile on his face.

"Hi Lana" he said gently.

"I'm your daddy. Would you like to spend sometime with me?".

Lana's eyes widened as she eyed him suspiciously. He could see the inner conflict her innocent mind was experiencing, torn between her mother's warnings and the desire to know her father.

"I promise i won't do anything to hurt you Lana", Charles reassured her, crouching down to meet her eyes level.

"I just want to be a part of your life, to be there for you and your mom". Thankfully the secretary and teacher already left the office to give them both privacy.

Lana hesitated for a moment, her small face creasing with uncertainty. But then, her curiousity got the better of her. She took a small step towards him, her guard loosening.

"Really?" She asked timidly, her voice barely above a whisper.

Charles nodded, his eyes brimming with unshed tears.

"Yes,l Lana, really. Your mom and i used to be together, but then daddy made a stupid decision. But now I'm here to make things right".

Lana's innocence and longing for a complete family showing on her face. So with a shy smile, Lana nodded, her fear slowly dissipating..

"Okay daddy".

Charles felt all the air leave his lungs when she called him daddy and a wave of relief washed over him. Seeing Lana's acceptance, even in her four-year old simplicity, gave him strength and the determination to continue.

Gently taking her small hand in his, Charles led her out of the school's gates and towards his car parked nearby. Charles glanced at his daughter's reflection in the rearview mirror, marveling at her cuteness and innocence, he couldn't believe that she was here with him right now.