CHAPTER EIGHTY-THREE

{BUT HOW WILL THIS IMPACT CHARLES'S FUTURE?}
Kathleen felt the ground shift beneath her feet as the doctor revealed his devastating truth about Charles's condition. She stood frozen, standing in front of the doctor's office, a rush of shock flooding through her body, threatening to consume her entirely. Every fiber of her being screamed out in disbelief, unable to process the magnitude of their predicament. How could this happen? How could Charles remember everything but her and their daughter, Lana? She felt like she had been struck by a bolt of lightning, leaving her numb with disbelief. Why would fate lay such a cruel twist upon their lives? The more she pondered this, the more guilt clawed at her core, convinced that she was somehow to blame for the pain that consumed them.

A whirlwind of emotions tore through Kathleen's heart. Self-recrimination clawed at her, reminding her of the countless times she had pushed Charles away, denying him the chance to connect with her again on a deeper level. In her desperate attempt to shield herself from past grievances and protect her heart, she had unknowingly created an insurmountable barrier between them. But deep down, she knew this was not a punishment she deserved. It was an undeserved blow, a cruel twist of fate that made the injustice of it all even more unbearable. Questions continued to spin in frantic circles through Kathleen's mind. Did she really deserve such a wretched outcome? She remembered the walls she had built, brick by brick with the intent on successfully blocking him out while he yearned for her love. And now, ironically, he couldn't remember her or their daughter, the ones he cherished so deeply. It was an ironic twist of fate, one that she couldn't comprehend.

Her mind raced, trying to find a logical explanation, a reason behind God's inexplicable decision. How could He allow Charles to forget their beloved daughter, the spark of joy in their lives? The thought of Lana not being a part of Charles' fragmented memory pained Kathleen to her core. Lana, with her infectious laughter and curious eyes, had always been the one who wanted to bridge the gap between them, even when they seemed miles apart.

But now, the mere prospect of Charles not recognizing the little girl he adored so deeply sent tremors of fear coursing through Kathleen's veins. How would Lana react when she found out that her that own father didn't remember her anymore? How could she explain such a devastating reality to a child so innocent and pure? Her heart ached for the pain her daughter would endure, erasing the blissful memories they had cherished as father and daughter. Their sweet, innocent child, what part had she played in their adult struggles? She needed to protect Lana at all cost, shield her from the pain that threatened to engulf them both.

The weight of this burden sank deeper into Kathleen's soul as she remembered the doctor's stern warning. Any attempt to force Charles to regain his memories could lead to detrimental consequences for his already fragile health. She felt trapped in a cruel paradox, torn between her desperate desire for Charles to remember their shared past and the need to protect him from further harm. The mere thought of inadvertently worsening his condition was unbearable, yet the thought of witnessing Lana's heartbreak was equally agonizing. It was as if the universe conspired to undermine her attempts to repair the shattered bonds of their family. Kathleen's mind raced, searching for a solution, a way to navigate this cruel twist of fate.