CHAPTER SEVENTY-TWO

{YOU CAN'T LOSE HOPE KATHLEEN}

After gathering their emotions, Kathleen's heart raced as she gripped David's arm tightly, urging him to lead her towards the operating room where Charles fought for his life. The hospital hallways seemed never-ending as they weaved through the bustling crowds of doctors and nurses. Kathleen's mind was a whirlwind of emotions—fear, desperation, and a glimmer of hope.

When they finally reached the doors of the operation room, Kathleen's eyes focused on the red light above the entrance. It remained ominously illuminated, signaling that the surgery was still in progress. Her heart sank, and a knot formed in the pit of her stomach. She silently begged for Charles to hold on, to fight for his life.

The sterile smell of the hospital, the antiseptic, and the sound of muffled voices added to her growing anxiety. She couldn’t lose Charles. Not now. She still needed him, Lana still needed her father too.

David, tried to comfort her with an assuring touch on her shoulder. “We’re here for him, Kathleen. He’s in good hands,” he said, his voice steady but his eyes reflecting the fear that gripped them both.

The door to the operating room slid open, and a rush of medical staff emerged, donned in blue scrubs and masks, their expressions grave. Kathleen’s breath caught in her throat as she scanned their faces for any sign, any glimmer of hope. But they gave nothing away. They were professionals, determined to save lives, yet the lack of information only intensified Kathleen’s anxiety.

Minutes turned into hours, but there was no word from the operating room. KATHLEEN'S impatience grew, and her mind became consumed with what might be happening behind those closed doors. She glanced at the red light, still burning brightly, and her heart sank further.

David suddenly stood next to her, "you can't lose hope, Kathleen", his voice filled with determination. "They are doing everything they can to save him. We have to trust in the skill of the doctors and the resilience of Charles's spirit".

Kathleen nodded, her faith unwavering. She closed her eyes once again, her lips silently forming prayers. She called upon every ounce of strength within her, to send waves of positivity and healing towards Charles's operating room.

Three hours later, the red light above the entrance signalling that the operating was still ongoing was still turned on. KATHLEEN'S stomach twisted into knots, and a cold shiver ran down her spine. She pressed her trembling hands together, continuing to silently pray for CHARLES'S safety.

As they waited in tense silence, David sat down on a hard plastic chair, his brow furrowed with worry. He seemed lost in his thoughts, his eyes darting around as if searching for an escape from the painful reality. For a brief moment, Kathleen felt a pang of guilt; he was as broken as she was, but she had been too consumed by her own fears to notice his struggle.

Just as she was about to reach for his hand, David’s phone buzzed in his pocket. With a weary sigh, he retrieved it, the screen illuminating with an incoming call. His expression shifted as he listened, his eyes narrowing and his grip tightening on the device. Kathleen’s heart sank. Had something terrible happened again?.

“What’s wrong?” she managed to voice, her voice trembling as much as her hands.

David’s gaze met hers, and she saw the turmoil mirrored in his eyes. “It’s nothing, Kathleen. Just business related problems" he lied, his voice strained as he returned back to his call.