CHAPTER SIX

LANA'S NOT YOUR DAUGHTER CHARLES

Kathleen's expression hardened even more.

"How sure are you that Lana is your daughter Charles, who knows she might be mine with another man". Kathleen said.

Charles sat down dumbfounded, trying to process the unexpected question.

The mere suggestion that Lana might not be his daughter washed over him like a tidal wave of anger. It was as if she had thrown cold water on the flickering flame of hope that burned within him ever since he had discovered the truth.

With his fists clenched and his heart pounding, Charles fought to keep his voice steady.

"How dare you suggest that Lana might not be mine? David told me that she had my eyes, my smile, and even an old friend of yours said the same. There's a connection between us that can't be denied Kathleen".

Kathleen face reflected a mix of hurt and defiance. She crossed her arm over her chest, as if seeking solace.

"You could be wrong, Charles. People make mistakes. Lana is definitely not yours". She lied thinking that was the only way to avoid the problem in front of her.

Charles felt a surge of anger rising within him at Kathleen's statement, why was she still lying even after knowing he had already found out.

"Well, if you're so convinced that she isn't mine then why don't we both (Lana and Charles) take a DNA test and if it comes out negative I'll leave you two alone, but if it comes out positive we'll settle this in a court of law. You and I both know that i have the means to fight for my rights as a father, and I'll do whatever it takes to be a part of Lana's life".

Tears welled up in Kathleen's eyes, "Lana doesn't need you now, Charles. She has her mother, she has me".

Charles scoffed, his voice laced with bitter sacarsm.

"Oh yes, you've definitely doneea fantastic job so far. Keeping my own daughter's existence away from me, from the man who could make a real difference in her life".

Kathleen's voice quivered with a mix of anger and desperation.

"This isn't about you Charles. I've managed to take care of her both financially and emotionally without you all of these years. We don't need you now".

The words pierced through Charles like arrows, piercing his ego and his dreams of getting back together with Kathleen and bonding with the daughter he had only recently discovered. He then stood up abruptly and stormed out of the bakery, the door slamming shut behind him with a resounding thud while Kathleen was left crying in her bakery with the customers sending her looks filled with pity.