CHAPTER SEVENTY-ONE

WHAT'S GOING ON MOMMY?

Lana's heart raced as she watched her mother rushed into the room to dress her up, saying she was staying at their neighbour's house tonight cause she had something to do. She couldn't bring herself to tell Lana that her father had just been involved in a very terrifying plane crash.

"What's going on, mommy?, Why do i have to stay over at Mrs Shirley's house tonight?" She innocently asked

Her worries were quickly assuaged by Kathleen with a warm smile and comforting voice, Kathleen assured Lana that everything was fine and that she had something important to do tonight which was why she would be staying with Mrs Shirley.

"Don't worry, sweetie," Mrs Shirley said soothingly, gently patting Lana's shoulder. "Your mommy just has an important business to do tonight. So you'll stay with me tonight, and we'll have a little adventure, just you and me!"

Lana's worries began to fade as she saw Mrs Shirley's genuine concern and excitement. She eagerly nodded, feeling a glimmer of anticipation for the evening ahead. She knew her mother wouldn't just leave her to spend the night at their neighbour's place if she didn't have something important to do.

After a heartfelt goodbye to her mother, Lana clutched onto Mrs Shirley's hand as they began walking towards her apartment.

"Thank you for taking care of Lana, Mrs Shirley" Kathleen said warmly. "I'm sure she'll have a wonderful time with you!"

Mrs Shirley smiled back, appreciating Kathleen's gratitude. "It's my pleasure Kathleen. We'll have a great time, please come back safely"

As they arrived at Mrs Shirley's cozy house, Lana couldn't help but feel a mix of nervousness and excitement. This overnight adventure was something out of the ordinary, and she couldn't wait to see what lay ahead.

Meanwhile, at the central of the city, David anxiously awaited Kathleen's arrival at the hospital. He had been with Charles immediately he heard about the plane crash, witnessing the terrifying moments as they rushed his best friend into the operating room.

When Kathleen finally arrived, David approached her with a look of both relief and desperation. His voice trembled as he spoke, "Kathleen, it's been a nightmare. Charles's condition is critical. He had to undergo emergency surgery, and... his heart stopped beating twice during the operation."

Kathleen's hand flew to her mouth, and her heart sank at the seriousness of the situation. David reached for Kathleens's hand, trying to offer her a small glimmer of support in this darkest hour.

"They're doing everything they can," David continued, his voice full of anguish. "But there's more... Charles also hit his head during the crash, and the doctors are concerned about the possibility of amnesia when he wakes up."

Tears welled up in Kathleen's eyes as she listened to David's words. She couldn't bear the thought of Charles losing his memories, how could he forget about her?, And most especially about their precious daughter Lana?  No that couldn't happen... it shouldn't.

Wrapping his arms around Kathleen, David whispered reassuringly, "We'll get through this, Kathleen. Charles is a strong man, and we'll be right by his side every step of the way".