CHAPTER SIXTY-ONE

ARE YOU ALRIGHT, MISS?

As the rain poured outside, a torrent of emotions overwhelmed Kathleen, consuming her every thought and action. Standing alone on the sidewalk, she desperately searched for an escape from her wretched reality. Her trembling hands fumbled for her phone, and with blurred vision, she dialed the number of the first taxi she saw.

Moments later, the cab pulled up, its headlights slicing through the darkness. Sarah quickly climbed into the backseat, the door slamming shut behind her. The driver glanced at her through the rearview mirror, concern etched on his face. "Are you alright, miss?" he asked, his voice filled with compassion.

Tears streamed down Kathleen's face as she tried to compose herself. "I'm fine," she whispered, her voice choked with emotion. "Just take me to *****, please."

The driver nodded understandingly and pulled away from the curb. The ride was silent, punctuated only by the sound of rain against the car's windows. Sarah stared out at the blurred city lights, lost in her own world.

After what felt like an eternity, the taxi finally came to a stop in front of Kathleen's apartment building. She reached into her purse, her trembling hands searching for her wallet. Finding it, she pulled out a handful of crumpled bills, more than enough to cover the fare. She handed the money to the driver, their eyes meeting briefly in the rearview mirror.

"Thank you," Kathleen said softly, her voice barely audible. "And sorry for the mess. It's been a tough night."

The driver's eyes softened with empathy. "No need to apologize, miss. Remember, it's okay to let it all out sometimes. We all have our moments."

With a grateful nod, Kathleen gathered what little strength she had left and stepped out of the cab. The driver's words lingered in her mind as she approached the entrance to her apartment building. She pushed open the heavy door, the familiar smell of home washing over her.

Inside, the silence of her empty apartment seemed to mock her pain. The walls closed in around her, intensifying her anguish. She sank to her knees, tears flowing freely, as she repeated the words: "I'm so stupid" over and over again, as if a broken record unable to find its groove.

Kathleen's heart weighed heavy with the realization of the chaos she had caused. A man had come into her life, offering her love and companionship, and yet she had been unable to let go of her past. The memories of the father of her child haunted her, leaving her torn and conflicted.

"Why is this happening to me?" she screamed through her sobs, her voice echoing within the barren walls. She yearned for an answer to her endless loop of questions, a glimmer of understanding that would help ease her torment.

In the midst of her despair, Kathleen's thoughts turned to Lana, luckily this week Lana was staying with Charles so she could cry all she wants relief washed over her.

As the rain continued to pour outside, Kathleen found her way to the sanctuary of her bedroom. She collapsed onto her bed, letting the tears flow freely once more. In the safety of her solitude, she allowed herself to mourn the loss of what could have been and to grieve for the love she had yet to fully accept.