CHAPTER FOURTY-THREE

HAVE TO MAKE DIFFICULT DECISIONS

Kathleen had convinced herself that leaving Charles's house was the right decision. The weight of their complex relationship had become too heavy to bear, and she needed to prioritize her own happiness and the well-being of her daughter, Lana. As she made her way towards her home, her mind was filled with relief.

~.              ~.                ~. 

Reaching her bakery, Kathleen found solace in the familiar smells of freshly baked bread and the comforting hum of customers. The welcoming atmosphere of the shop acted as a balm to her wounded spirit. She threw herself into her work, the repetitive movements soothing her restless mind.

Meanwhile, Charles's ragged breaths echoed through the empty rooms of his house. In a fit of anger and frustration, he vented his emotions by smashing a vase against the wall. The sound of shattering glass reverberated throughout the once peaceful abode, further fueling his anguish.

Doubt clouded his mind as he looked around at the remnants of their time together these past few days. He knew he had failed to convince Kathleen to stay. Guilt weighed heavily upon his shoulders, and he berated himself for not being able to fix their fractured relationship.

Later in the day, Kathleen went to pick up Lana from school, her mind still grappling with the aftermath of her decision. As they walked hand in hand towards the car, Lana's bright eyes were filled with anticipation. She expected to spend the evening with her daddy when he comes back form work, as they had always done since they all began living together.

However, confusion flickered across Lana's face as they arrived in front of their own familiar home instead of her father's mansion. Her shoulders slumped, and disappointment etched itself across her innocent features. "Mommy, why aren't we going to daddy's house?" she asked, her voice tinged with sadness.

Kathleen hesitated, her gaze fixated on the ground. She knew it was time to explain the difficult truth to Lana - one that she had hoped to delay. Taking a deep breath, Kathleen crouched down to Lana's eye level and gently began, "Sweetheart, from now on, we won't be staying with your daddy anymore."

Lana's expressive eyes widened, her small brows furrowing in confusion. "But why, Mommy?" she questioned, her voice filled with innocence and curiosity.

Kathleen, her own eyes brimming with tears, tried her best to offer reassurance. "Well, honey, your daddy's injury has healed, and he doesn't need us to take care of him anymore. We thought it would be best if we started living in our own home again."

A mixture of frustration and sadness contorted Lana's face as her little body trembled with pent-up emotions. "But I want to go to my daddy!" she exclaimed, her voice straining with anguish.

Kathleen felt a lump form in her throat as she struggled to find the words to comfort her daughter. "I know, Lana, and I understand how much you love your daddy. But sometimes we have to make difficult decisions for our own happiness and well-being."

Lana's tears fell freely now, her tiny shoulders trembling. Kathleen gathered her daughter into a warm embrace, whispering soft words of love and understanding.