CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

PLEASE, LET ME EXPLAIN

The dance had been a whirlwind of emotions for both Charles and Kathleen. Excitement, nervousness, and a sense of something unspoken hung in the air as they danced the night away.

"Thank you Charles, for the beautiful mother's day surprise", Kathleen said with a soft smile, her eyes shining with appreciation.

Charles couldn't help but feel a swell of pride in his chest. He had put so much thought and effort into planning this surprise, in collaboration with his daughter Lana, and seeing Kathleen's genuine joy made it all worth it. "You deserve this and so much more Kathleen", he replied, his voice with sincerity. "I want to make sure you know just how much you mean to us".

Their eyes met, and for a moment, time seemed to stand still. In that moment, the unspoken tension between them seemed to reach it's climax. Charles's gaze flickered to Kathleen's lips, and a spark passed between them, igniting a silent understanding. Slowly, hesitantly, leaning in, they were about to share a kiss that had been building up for far too long.

But just as their lips were about to meet, Kathleen jerked back abruptly. Confusion and disappointed mingled in Charles's eyes, while Kathleen's body tensed with sudden panic. The cloudy haze of infactuation cleared, and she realized the enormous risk she was about to take.

"Kathleen", Charles pleaded, reaching a hand out toward her. "I... I'm sorry, i got carried away. Please, let me explain".

But Kathleen didn't give him a chance. With a tears welling in her eyes, she dashed towards her room. The door slammed shut and locked, leaving Charles standing alone in the empty room.

Charles sank onto the nearest couch, his head buried within his hands. He could hardly fanthom what had just transpired. Regret and sorrow watched over him as he realized how his impulsive actions had pushed Kathleen away.

Charles sat there, replaying the events in his mind, desperately searching for a way to rectify his mistakes. Deeep down, he knew he had to respect Kathleen's boundaries, but he couldn't stand the ache in his heart. He wanted her, infact he needed her.

Slowly, Charles made his way upstairs, his footsteps heavy with disappointment. The door to Kathleen's room was closed, and he remembered hearing the faint sound of a lock clicking into place when she walked away. The weight of his emotions settled upon him as he leaned against her door, his hand reaching up to rest against the cold wood. He wished he could explain, reassure her that he didn't mean to overstep any boundaries.

"I'm sorry, Kathleen", he whispered, his voice barely audible. "I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. I'm so sorry".

Inside the room, Kathleen leaned her back against the door.

Charles, feeling the weight of the silence, finally retreated to his own room across the hallway. He collapsed onto his bed, staring blankly at the ceiling. Thoughts of Kathleen consumed his mind, and he couldn't shake off the intense disappoinment that coursed through his veins.