CHAPTER SIXTY-NINE

YOU'LL BE STAYING WITH YOUR MOMMY

With his bags packed and the weight of his upcoming journey heavy on his heart, Charles ordered his driver to take him to Lana's school. The luxuriously comfortable seats in the back of the sleek black car failed to provide the solace he sought. As the car smoothly glided through the bustling city streets, his thoughts swirled in a chaotic dance, tangling emotions into knots he wasn't sure he could untangle.

Upon reaching the familiar gates of Lana's school, Charles took a deep breath to steady himself. He had carefully rehearsed the words he would say to his beloved daughter, striking a delicate balance between honesty and secrecy. The sun was beginning to descend, casting a warm golden glow on the school, he approached the entrance, his heart fluttering with anticipation.

Lana, her hair shimmering in the fading light, was waiting by the school's grand stone steps, her face glowing with a mix of eager excitement on getting to see her dad this morning. Charles knew the gravity of the conversation that awaited them, and a pang of guilt twisted in the depths of his soul. But he knew he had no choice. He couldn't share the truth with her, not yet. He just couldn't break her little heart.

"Good morning daddy!" Lana greeted him, her voice filled with innocent enthusiasm, unaware of the storm raging within her father's heart.

Charles smiled, a bittersweet smile that held a lifetime of love and cherished memories. He knelt down to meet her at eye level, his hands gently clasping hers. "Hey, sweetie," he said, his voice laced with tenderness. "I have some news to share with you."

Lana's eyes sparkled with curiosity as she looked up at him, her small hand fitting snugly within his. "What is it, Daddy?"

Taking a deep breath, Charles fought against the guilty pang that gnawed at his conscience. "I'm going on a business trip," he began, carefully omitting the truth that this journey was not just about business. "It's very important, and I need to be away for a little while. You won't be staying at my place this week. Instead, you'll be staying with your mommy."

Lana's expression shifted from curiosity to disappointment as her vibrant smile melted away. She tried to hide her sadness, wanting to be supportive of her father. Charles's heart constricted at the sight of her faltering mask and he pulled her into a tight embrace, holding her close. "I know it's not what you expected, Lana," he whispered, his voice full of remorse. "I promise you, after this trip, things will go back to normal. And we'll spend all the time in the world together."

Lifting her tear-streaked face, Lana nodded, her small hand brushing away her tears. "I understand, Daddy," she said, her voice filled with a wisdom beyond her years. "Just promise you'll come back soon, okay?"

Charles kissed her forehead, his voice softened by love and determination. "I promise, my little love." With a heavy heart, he released her from his embrace, allowing her to return to the world of friends and laughter, while he stepped back into the shadows of his own destiny.

Turning away from the school, Charles joined his driver in the waiting car. The engine purred to life, but the rhythmic rumbling did nothing to silence the inner turmoil that threatened to consume him. He yearned for a moment of respite, a moment to gather his thoughts and find solace.

Charles knew that he should have stopped at Kathleen's bakery, but the weight of unresolved emotions held him captive, and the thought of facing her, which only served to intensify his internal struggle.

As the cityscape gave way to open roads, Charles stared out of the car window, watching as the towering buildings faded into the distance. But as the car sped towards the airport, Charles held onto the fragile hope that, through it all, he would find a way back to the warmth of his daughter's smile.