CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR

CHARLES, WHAT'S GOING ON?

Ignoring her comment, Charles took a deep breath, attempting to gather his thoughts. "Where is Lana?" he asked, his voice betraying a hint of urgency. Kathleen's eyes narrowed, suspicion taking hold. "She's not here," she replied cautiously. "She begged to go to school today, claiming she was feeling better. I checked her temperature and it had subsided after giving her the medicines that the doctor prescribed, so I agreed to let her go."

Relief washed over Charles as he heard the news. This was the perfect opportunity to execute his plan. A sly smile crept across his face, but Kathleen's expression shifted from confusion to fear. She felt a wave of unease wash over her, unsure of what was going on in Charles's head.

With a sense of purpose, Charles motioned for his driver to stand on alert outside the bakery, instructing him not to let anyone in until he emerged. Kathleen watched as the driver assumed his position, furrowing her brow in concern. She couldn't shake the feeling that something ominous was about to unfold.

Turning her attention back to Charles, Kathleen mustered the courage to speak her mind. "Charles, what is going on? Why are you behaving so strangely?" Her voice trembled, betraying both fear and concern.