CHAPTER SEVEN

REGRET

As soon as Charles retreated to his solitary mansion, he paced back and forth, regret twisting inside him like a sharp knife. He gazed out of the window, watching the rain cascade against the glass, mirroring the scattered emotions raging within him. Kathleen's words echoed in his mind, and he couldn't help but recall the tears that welled up in her eyes as he left the bakery.

His intentions had been to reach out and reconcile with his long lost family. The desire to make things right, to be a part of Lana's life, had pushed him to confront Kathleen despite the potential risk of rejection. But now he questioned whether his approach had been too forceful, too overbearing. He knew that Kathleen still harboured anger and resentment towards him.

But deep down, Charles knew that he couldn't abandon his quest for reconciliation. He had to find a way to win Kathleen's trust back, to prove that he had changed and was ready to be a father to Lana.

Charles found himself lost in memories of he and Kathleen's laughter, and joy mingled with his past mistakes. It became apparent that he had to approach Kathleen carefully, with patience and understanding. She needed reassurance that he genuinely cared and that he was willing to make amends.