CHAPTER FOURTY

FOR US, AND FOR LANA

Kathleen's heart raced as she stepped forward, towards Elena and James who both reached out to hug her, immediately after that she brought out Lana who was hiding behind her and introduced her to her grandparents. Lana shyly waved at them but the word "grandparents" shocked both Elena and James. So this lovely child over here was Charles and Kathleen's daughter and also their granddaughter?. Immediately James walked over to Charles and began hitting him.

"So you mean to tell us that Kathleen was pregnant when you left her you un-fillal son" he shouted at Charles.

Kathleen quickly stepped towards James, she desperately needed to diffuse the situation before it spiraled out of control.

"Please, Mr and Mrs Walker," Kathleen said, her voice trembling with a mix of apprehension and determination. "Let's all sit down. We have so much to explain."

Elena and James hesitantly followed her lead, their disapproving glances lingering on Charles before they reluctantly took their seats. So with that, Kathleen, Charles, Lana, Elena, and James all sat  around the cozy living room, creating an atmosphere tinged with both tension and anticipation.

Taking a deep breath, Kathleen reached out and grasped her Elena's hands. "First, I want to apologize to both you and James for keeping Lana's existence from the both of you, even though Charles and i broke up i shouldn't have done that with how well the both of you always treated me".

Elena looked intently into Kathleen's eyes, her face showing immense sadness. "It's alright dear".

Kathleen took a moment to gather her thoughts, the weight of the secret she had carried for so long manifesting. She turned her gaze to Lana, who sat quietly beside her, her small hand clutching a stuffed animal for comfort. Kathleen gently squeezed her daughter's shoulder before continuing.

"Lana is our daughter. And yes, i was already expecting her when Charles left ... But he didn't know i was pregnant at that time". Kathleen finally revealed, her voice steady but tinged with vulnerability.

James torn between wrath and a desire to protect Kathleen, turned his gaze toward Charles, scrutinizing him. "Is this true, Charles? How could you not have known?"

Charles hesitated, his eyes shifting between his parents. "I was foolish back then that's why".

Elena called Lana over with a warm smile, her gentle eyes urging her to join them.

We're sorry we didn't bring any gifts, dear. Your stinky dad forgot to mention you. But we're here now, and we'd love to get to know you."

Lana giggled mischievously, finding humor in her father being called "stinky." Her young mind couldn't fathom the true meaning behind their words, but it didn't matter.

Kathleen, sensing Lana's innocence, gestured for her to go up to her room. "Why don't you go play with your toys, sweetheart? We'll call you when we're done."

Lana's eyes twinkled with excitement as she skipped away, eager to delve into her imaginary world. She climbed the stairs, her small footsteps growing distant as she disappeared into her room.

Once Lana was out of earshot, the room grew heavy with anticipation. Charles cleared his throat, breaking the silence hanging in the air. He looked at Kathleen, his eyes filled with longing and straight-forwardly said to everyone present.

"I'm trying to win Kathleen back, i want to make things right," he began, his voice brimming with sincerity. "I've realized my mistakes, and I want to rebuild our relationship. For us, and for Lana."