CHAPTER THIRTY

KATHLEEN, NOW!

The abandoned warehouse stood silent, its dark corners concealing a sinister game of vengeance. Charles Walker and his men had tracked down his daughter, Lana, and were moments away from rescuing her. But they had no idea that Vicky consumed by a twisted thirst for revenge, had anticipated their every move. They didn't know that Vicky intentionally let that woman who she presumed was the girl's mother find her and now her plan had just begun.

Vicky, seething with rage, emerged from the shadows, her hand clasping a gun tightly. The metal glinted under the flickering lights, matching the coldness in her eyes. She pressed the gun against Kathleen's temple as Charles and his men approached causing the entire room to go still.

Charles, his heart pounding, felt a surge of helplessness and fury course through his veins.

"Kathleen, why didn't you stay at home like I told you?" Charles' voice quivered with anger, disbelief, and desperate concern.

Kathleen's voice trembled with emotion as she retorted, "I couldn't leave Lana to suffer alone. My daughter needed me, and I couldn't stand by... I had to save her Charles."

In that instant, as their words filled the air, Charles's eyes met Kathleen's, understanding passing between them. He had signaled her earlier, a silent communication that now sprang into action.

Summoning every ounce of strength and vulnerability, Charles shouted, "Kathleen, now!"

In a heartbeat, Kathleen, fueled by adrenaline and love for her daughter, obeyed. She stomped down on Vicky's legs with surprising force, causing her to lose her grip on the gun. With swift movement, Kathleen dashed towards Charles, who instinctively shielded her as a gunshot pierced the silence.

Pain seared through Charles's body as he absorbed the impact of the bullet. He staggered, In that same moment, his men sprang into action, returning fire at Vicky and neutralizing the threat she posed. Gunshots echoed through the warehouse as Charles's men shot Vicky till all of their bullets were gone.

Lana watched the scene unfold, tears streaming down her face. Kathleen tried to cover her eyes but she refused. Her daddy was in a vulnerable state and it terrified her. The sound of sirens wailed in the distance, growing louder with each passing second. The police had arrived, but all they saw was a wounded Charles, Kathleen hugging Lana, men standing around, and a dead Victoria Hudson.

Leaving the rest to the police, Charles's men swiftly carried him, while Kathleen and Lana also followed them. They loaded into their waiting vehicles, speeding towards the nearest hospital.