CHAPTER FIFTY-TWO

SHE DESERVES A STABLE HOME

With everything settled, Kathleen leaves the hospital with Lana both heading towards her car. Lana waves at her dad then walks away with Kathleen leaving Charles standing outside the hospital.

As Charles stood there, watching Kathleen and Lana walk away towards her car, a heavy wave of sadness washed over him. He felt a deep ache in his heart, a longing for the family he wanted, the family he knew Lana deserved. The sight of Lana waving goodbye to him only intensified his longing and made his determination to win Kathleen back even stronger.

Driving away, Kathleen couldn't help but notice Charles' forlorn figure in her rearview mirror. But she knew this had to be done. She couldn't let him get close enough to hurt her like before especially now that Lana's involved.

Lana sat quietly in the backseat, sensing the tension between her parents made her come up with that solution even if that meant only spending half the time with each of them. Adjusting her favorite stuffed animal in her lap, she glanced out of the window, her mind still filled with the image of her father standing there, so alone and heartbroken.

Back at the hospital, Charles stood in the parking lot, contemplating on what to do. He couldn't bear the idea of continuing to live without Kathleen and Lana. He knew he had to change, to become the man they needed him to be. He doesn't want Lana to keep on making difficult decisions like who she's going to spend the week with, she deserves better.

Making a firm resolution, Charles made his way back into the hospital. He signed the discharge papers and did every other thing he had to do and then left the hospital after that.

Back at Kathleen's apartment, she tucked Lana into bed after giving her the medicines,  brushing a soft strand of hair from her face. Her heart ached for her daughter, yearning to give her the happy, stable home she deserved. She kissed her forehead whispering a silent goodnight to her and quietly left the room after