CHAPTER FOURTY-EIGHT

WHERE'S DADDY?

Kathleen sat in a stiff chair, she quickly shrugged Charles's arm of her shoulders after hearing what he just said.

"Can we not talk about this right now, i don't care if i have you or not. All i care about is Lana opening her pretty eyes for me". With that Charles sadly walked out with the excuse of getting them food.

After some hours, a soft moan escaped Lana lips, and Kathleen's attention snapped back to her daughter's face. Panic gripped her heart as Lana struggled to wake up, her eyes fluttering open. Kathleen leaned closer, relief washing over her as Lana's gaze settled on her.

"M-mommy?" Lana's voice was hoarse, barely a whisper. Her pale hand reached out, and Kathleen quickly placed a glass of water in her trembling grasp.

"Take it slow, sweetheart," Kathleen urged gently, her voice filled with tenderness as she guided the glass to Lana's cracked lips. She watched as her daughter struggled to drink, each swallow an effort of strength. The sight tugged at Kathleen's heart, reminding her of the times when Lana had been just a baby, reliant on her mother's care.

Lana finished the water, her clear blue eyes searching Kathleen's face for answers. "Mommy, what happened to me?" she asked, her voice filled with confusion and vulnerability.

Kathleen took a deep breath, her hand resting gently on Lana's cheek. "Oh, my love," she murmured, her voice filled with a mixture of love and sorrow. "You were so sick, darling. Your fever was through the roof. I had never seen anything like it."

Lana frowned, her brow furrowing. "But... why? What caused it?"

Kathleen hesitated, grappling with how much to share. She didn't want to burden Lana with worry, but she also didn't want Lana to remember what happened yesterday and start crying all over again which could worsen her condition. So she opted for a half-life, half-truth approach.

"You got upset and cried so much last night," Kathleen began gently. "When i came to check up on you this morning to get you ready for school, I found you burning up with fever".

Lana's eyes filled with tears, her voice filled with guilt. "I'm sorry for bothering you, Mommy. I didn't mean to make you worry."

Kathleen's heart ached as she saw Lana blame herself for something completely out of her control. She reached out and cupped Lana's face in her hands. "Oh, sweetheart, never think that way. You could never be a bother to me. I love you more than words can say, and I will always be here for you, no matter what."

A faint smile graced Lana's lips, a glimmer of relief and reassurance. "Where's Daddy?"

"He went to get us all something to eat," Kathleen replied, gently brushing a strand of hair away from Lana's face. "He wanted to make sure you had something to eat when you woke up, but he'll be back soon."