we were liars

"We need toothpaste!" Carl shouts as he walks into the bathroom, "Here, use this for now." I say as I am walking up the stairs, mixing together hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, "It'll taste like shit but it'll work." I hand it to him and he puts some on his toothbrush. "So, my SAT gig's a bust but I could scrape up some money another way if you need help." Lip says to Fiona as he also walks into the bathroom so I can help him change Liam out of his towel diaper, "It's cool, I'm picking up that temp check later anyway." Fi explains and Carl starts fake tasering Lip, "Is that a taser?" Fiona asks, "Lip, let him borrow it." I explain as I finish changing Liam, "Carl finally got invited somewhere by normal kids; Robbie Rebello's having a paintball party." Ian says as he pops his head out of the shower, "Towel." He requests and I quickly throw him one. "Yeah, but he's not going, so Lip gave him a taser to play with." I further explain as Fiona is picking up laundry. "Who's Candace?" I hear Debbie ask, "What?" I say and leave the bathroom to help her.

"What happened Debs?" I say and she shows me Steve's phone; Sweetie, call me. It's important. "What the hell?" I grab the phone from her and go up to Fiona, "Fi, look at this." I show her and she disregards it, "Why are you two reading other people's messages?" Fiona snatches the phone from me, "Is he dating someone else?" Debbie asks, "Go! You two are going to be late for school!" Fiona rolls her eyes and walks away with Liam.

"What do you think that's all about?' Debbie asks me as we walk to school together, "I don't know but I don't like it." "Don't like what?" Lip comes from behind, wrapping his arm around me and smokes his cigarette. "Steve got a text from some girl named Candance and she called him sweetie." I explain, "It's probably nothing." Lip says and I roll my eyes at him, "See you later?" I say to Lip before jogging over to Ian to talk about what happened last night, "So, how was Mickey?" I whisper, "I'll tell you later?' He mumbles back to me and signals over to Mandy, Mickey's sister, "She doesn't know?" I mutter, he shakes his head, "I slept with someone. Not Kash." Ian says to Mandy, holy shit is he gonna tell her "Um, details please!" Mandy says, "I can't tell you, he's on the down low, you know?" Ian says, "Wow." Mandy says looking away awkwardly, "Yeah." Ian says in a slightly awkward tone, "Well, whoever it is, I'm happy for you, I guess." Mandy says and I bite my lips together so hard so I don't snicker, Ian looks back at me and pulls me up next to him, letting out a big laugh and we finally get to school.

++

I get back home from school to see Lip and Karen in the living room, I sigh and hurry upstairs, Ian notices and follows me, "Sadie, you alright?" He asks as I throw my backpack down onto his bed and plop down, I nod, "I guess." I wipe my eyes and sniffle, gathering my composure and moving past Ian to go back downstairs.

"Sadie, nothing happened, I swear she just went to University of Chicago with me today and I met with Hearst and we came back here before I dropped her off, nothing happened." Lip explains, I'm hurt because he went to UC without me but I don't show it, "Yeah, it's cool." I say grabbing one hundred dollars out of my pocket and handing it to Fiona, "What's this?" She asks, "I decided since I'm going to be living here I should help out, the most I can do right now is one hundred a month, is that okay?" I ask, she nods, "You don't even have to do this but I appreciate it thank you." Fi says and puts it into the squirrel fund. "Hey, hey! I want you to meet our new daughter!" Kev says happily, walking in, "Foster." V corrects him, "Why you gotta do that. Babe?" Kev sighs and walks into the kitchen with V, "Jeez you weren't lying." Fiona whispers to V, "I know." "Hi, I'm Sadie, nice to meet you." I introduce myself and she bows to me, "Okay, that's new." I smile to her softly just then Debbie runs into the house super hyped up, "Debs, what's going on?" Fi asks, "Daddy and I got high on sugar because he stopped drinking." Debs says while jumping on the couch, "Who's daddy?" Fiona asked, "Me daddy! Me, me, me." Frank says downing another packet of sugar, "Shit." Lip mutters. "What?" Fi asks, "He's done this before." Lip explains, "We gotta help daddy not drink so he can make three thousand dollars." Debbie says continuing to jump.