surprise!

I made my way back to the Gallaghers the next morning to see them off. I clenched my jaw as I saw the DCFS worker guiding the kids towards the white kidnapper van. Just as I approach the van Jimmy comes from the other side, "What the hell is happening?" "Child protective services, they're taking us away." Debbie cried as she carried Liam. "Relax, Debs, it won't last, okay? What was it last time, a week?" Lip says, patting her head "Nine days." She looks back at him  "Twenty bucks it we'll be back in five," Lip grinned. "Make it three since Sadie knows this time." Ian adds with a smile. I hug them all once more before they get in the van. "I love you all." I say as the door closes.  "Can I get their placement address now?" Fiona asks. "Not until intake interviews are complete, the woman answered "Who reported us?" Fiona asked, but she received no response, "Come on!"  She shouts as the lady enters the van, slamming the door and it speeds away. I hug her in comfort as her eyes fill with tears, "We'll figure it out." I comfort as she cries onto my shoulder.

She bucks up quickly and wipes her tears, "We'll get them back." She nods and Jimmy and I follow her inside, "Am I allowed to be in here like, visiting?" I ask as I help her put the dishes away, "I guess, you're not a Gallagher. I just can't have any minors here." Fiona sighs, "Lip is eighteen, why did they take him?" I ask, "Gotta be 21." Jimmy buts in, "That's stupid." I mutter, "Shit, I got a shift in ten minutes!" Fiona says, "Go to your shift, we'll take care of this." Jimmy says, "Wasn't sure I'd see you again." Fiona sighs, "I wasn't either." Jimmy responds and Fiona rubs his back, "I'm gonna see if I can get one of the evil cock-gobblers to cover my shift so I can get over to the DFS office, start tracking down the kids.." Fiona huffs, "Please let me know where they all are." I say as I wash the dishes next to Jimmy, she comes up next to me and kisses my forehead, "I will and let me know if Lip contacts you." She gently pats my back and leaves the house.

Just as I am drying my last dish my phone goes off, "Lip?" Jimmy asks, I nod as I open the message, "Gunderson House." I read, "Where's that?" I ask, "Not too far, just a couple blocks." Jimmy explains, "Call Fi." He says and walks into the kitchen as I do what's told, "Hey, you hear?" Fiona answers the phone, "Yeah, Lip and Ian are at the Gunderson House, Carl and Liam are placed together and Debs is alone." I read off the second message from Lip, "Shit, okay, thank you. I'll find out where they're going and we'll go visit them as soon as possible." Fiona says and hangs up. I let out a big sigh, this is hell.

++

Fiona walks through the backdoor, the sound of the door closing echoes through the quiet house, "It's quiet." I say as she walks to the couch and sits next to me, "Too quiet." She puts her head in her hands and begins to sob, I hug her and rub her back, "I miss them too." I whisper and she sits up, wiping her face, "It'll be alright, we'll get them back." She says, again. I think she's reassuring herself more than me, "I know, Fi. You're resilient and will do anything for your kids." I rest my head on her shoulder. "Thanks for being here." Fiona sighs and plays with the ends of my hair, "Of course, you're my family." I say softly. Just then V walks through the front door, "Jimmy?" Fiona calls, sitting up, "Darker." V says and sits down next to me, "You talk to your caseworker?" Fiona asks, "Unfortunately, yeah." Veronica sighs, "Two reasons why we can't take in your brood; one, Ethel ran away and two, the investigation is still pending as to the quality of our care." V scoffs, Fiona sighs, "It was worth a shot." She rubs her face, "Now what?" V asks, softly. "Gotta kick it into high gear, figure out where all the kids are, get the house ready for inspection. They're gonna require a fit parent to get the kids back," Fiona lists, "Frank?" I question in disbelief, Fiona nods, "But, Monica first so we don't have to bribe him somehow to be here and get the kids back." Fiona says, "Why can't you go for custody?" I ask, "You are old enough." V backs me up, "That'll take too long, we need the kids back like yesterday." Fiona says, "I'll see you two later, love you." V says and leaves, "Cleaning time." Fiona commences and she and I clean the house top to bottom throwing away anything that'd be considered contraband in a prison.