coming out

"Sade, you coming to my kid's Christening?" Mickey asks me as he buttons up his black shirt, "Oh she's invited and I'm not?" Ian scoffs, "Svet likes this one, you know I'd invite you too but then I gotta deal with that bullshit." Mickey scoffs and walks away, "Ian, I won't go if you don't feel comfortable." I reassure him, "No, go. I'll be there anyway." Ian smirks, "Behave." I roll my eyes and walk into the bathroom to get dressed. I put on my staple, black dress and black heel combo and double french braid my hair.

"Coming?" I ask Ian as I lean in his doorway, "In a minute, you can get going. I'm gonna be late." Ian says as he is getting dressed, I let out a deep sigh, "Okay. Love you." I say, leaving and going to the church.

"Hey, blondie. You be Yevgeny godmother?" Svet asks me, "I need a legal to do it and you're in college so smart lady be my baby's godmother." Svetlana slightly compliments, "Sure." I reply, slightly confused, "Good now come stand next to me." Svet demands and I do as told, I don't need a crazy Russian lady hating me.

++

At the after party, Ian finally shows up and sits farthest away from everyone and I sit next to him the whole time as he crushes up the peanuts Kev leaves on the bar, "Ian, we should go." I try to sway him to leave because I can feel the tension and anger building up. "I'm fine." He almost growls at me as Mickey storms over, "Look, Svetlana wants you to go." Mickey sighs, "Do you want me to go?" Ian asks with a smirk, "No, I don't want you to go but the whole thing's gonna be a lot easier if you do." "For you maybe." Ian snickers, "What about me?" Ian asks, still crushing up the peanuts, "This really where you wanna spend your day off?" Mickey questions, "With my two favorite people? Absolutely." Ian pats my thigh gently, "Look, give me a couple hours; I'll meet you back at your place." Mickey reasons, "If you make me leave, don't come over." Ian defends himself. "Why the fuck you acting like a girl, huh?" Mickey insults, "Hey." I grimace at him, "No offense." Mickey says quickly then refocuses back on Ian, "I'm sick of living a lie." Ian confesses, "Aren't you?" He asks. "I'm not lying to you." Mickey snarks, "Everyone else?" "Who gives a shit about everybody else? What difference does it make if I lie to them?" Mickey argues, "Because," Ian slams his hand down on the bar, tears fill his eyes as he looks at Mickey, "Because you're not free." Ian says right in Mick's face. "Ian, what you and I have, makes me free." Mickey confesses and I put my hand over my heart, "Finally nice words out of your mouth." I tease, "Shut the hell up." He flips me off, just then the Alibi door swings open, my heart drops thinking it's my dad, it drops even farther when I see who it really is, "Look what that state of Illinois just released back into society?" Mickey's dad, Terry says with a cigarette in his mouth, "Holy shit." Mickey and I mutter as he quickly walks away from Ian. "Ian, we should go." I say quietly, pulling his arm gently. "Fuck no." Ian pulls away from me and sits back down on the stool, glaring at Terr as he coos at Yevgeny. "Ian," I say softly, "Sadie, shut up." Ian mutters and begins shaking his leg. Kev then hands Ian a shot and winks at him, "You told him?" Ian mutters to me as Kev walks away, "No but he's been sleeping in your room for like weeks now, it's pretty obvious to everyone around you." I snark, "Sorry." Ian sighs and takes his shot, "It's okay. Not your fault." I say, resting my head on his shoulder.

After a couple more hours, I realized what time it was, "Shit." I mutter and turn to Ian, "Hey, I gotta go to your brother's stupid fucking dinner. I love you, please call me if you need anything." I say to Ian, kissing his cheek. "Yeah, love you." Ian sighs as I walk over to Mickey and Svet, "Hey, I gotta go to Lip's fucking dinner. Thank you for having me and I'm so happy to be Yevgeny's godmother." I smile at both of them and Svet hugs me and gives me a cheek kiss, "Thank you for coming." She says then hugs me again, "Take Howdy Doody with you." She whispers in my ear. "Mickey, can I talk to you for a second?" "Svetlana, you're gonna let her talk to your husband in private?" Terry antagonizes, "She is fine." Svet waves us off as I pull Mickey away from his dad, "Do something, now. I don't fucking care what, just do it." I mutter to him and he groans, "Whatever, just go." He waves me off and I roll my eyes and go to leave, "Hey, just wanted to let you know I'm leaving." Ian says to Mickey, grabbing my attention, "See you back at your place." Mickey nods to him, "Don't bother; we're done." Ian scoffs. "What the fuck are you talking about?" Mickey says through his teeth, "Ian." I say, giving him sympathetic eyes, "No, I don't have any interest in being a mistress anymore." Ian confesses, slightly slurring his words. "Jesus Christ, when did you get so dramatic?" Mickey scoffs, "Mickey!" I shout, knowing what we talked about before, "When I realized what a pussy you are." Ian snarks back, "Say it again, I'm gonna kick your ass." Mickey says, putting his tongue in his cheek. "Come on, come on big guy." Ian antagonizes, "Ian, no." I grab his arm, "You think you're a tough man?" He continues, "You're not. You're a coward." Ian antagonizes, centimeters away from Mickey's face. "Fuck you." Mickey says, pushing him away from his face making me back off so I don't get hit. "You don't understand-" Mickey starts, "Oh, I do understand. I understand better than everyone that you're afraid of your father. You're afraid of your wife. You're afraid to be who you are." Ian says quietly, jabbing his chest with his fingers then turning to walk away, guiding me out by my waist.