mission impossible

"They won't let me see him." Fiona walks up to Lip and I with tears in her eyes, Lip stares at her angrily, "I was watching him at the party. I thought he was in the living room." Fiona cries, "Then clearly you weren't watching him." I scoff. "Who's Fiona?" An officer barges into the waiting room, "That's me." Fiona says, "Put your hands behind your back." The officer directs, "What?" She acts surprised, "Fiona Gallagher, you have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be used against you in the court of law." The officer says, "Whoa, what's going on?" Kev steps up and I place my hand on his chest, "Don't get involved." I mutter, Fiona looks petrified, "You have the right to an attorney, if you cannot afford one, one will be appointed to you. Do you understand your rights as I've read them to you?" The officer finishes, then walks away with Fiona. The whole crew follows, leaving Lip and I behind. "It's gonna be okay, he's a Gallagher. He'll pull through." I say, leaning my head on Lip's shoulder, "How could she be so stupid?" Lip asks in disbelief, sitting down in a chair. "Sade, you have class tomorrow. You gotta go." Lip says, leaning against the back of the chair, "Lip, me and you against it all. I'm here for you." I comfort him once more before resting my head on his shoulder, "I'm right here with you." I repeat, grabbing his hand gently and he interlaces our fingers.

"They probably took her to District Six for booking." Kev says as he and the crew come back into the waiting room. Lip ignores him and Kev sits down next to me, "That's where they take you before they bring you to County. She's gonna need a lawyer." Kev explains, Lip still ignoring him. "I'm gonna go make a quick phone call, let school know I won't be there tomorrow. Lip, I'll call for you too, okay?" I say, getting up, "Okay." Lip says softly to me as I step away.

I pull out my phone and begin to text Mr. Martin: Hey, can you let my professors know I won't be attending lecture tomorrow. Family emergency. I text then send him a picture of the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. I instantly get a text back: Of course, are you okay? Do you need anything? I softly smile at the thoughtfulness: No, thank you. I'll keep you updated. I finish texting him, keeping it professional. I then call Lip's guidance counselor, voice mail as expected: Hi, this is Sadie Mitchell calling on behalf of Philip Gallagher. There has been a family emergency and we are in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. He will not be able to attend any classes tomorrow due to these circumstances, I hope you understand, please call back with any questions or concerns, thank you. I speak in a professional manner then hang up and walk back over to Lip, "All good." I say with a quick soft smile then sit back down next to him.

Just then the doctor comes out, "Fiona Gallagher?" "Phillip Gallagher." Lip says and stands up, "Is Fiona here?" She asks. "No." I answer, standing up right next to Lip, "Who are you two?" "This is Liam's brother, Phillip and I-" "This is my wife, Sadie Gallagher." Lip quickly responds and the doctor nods, "Look I really need a parent or guardian here, is Fiona going to be back soon?" The doctor asks, "Look, his mother is bipolar who split years ago and his father is an alcoholic and the cops just hauled Fiona away, we're all he has; is he gonna be okay?" I ask, annoyed she won't help us. The doctor sighs, "Liam came in with acute cocaine toxicity. Disoriented, hallucinating, and with a dangerously elevated heart rate. He's on Naloxone for his altered mental status and benzodiazepine to control his seizures." The doctor explains, "Seizures?" Debbie asks, "We're monitoring his temperature, his heart rate, and his glucose levels, but he has started to settle down." The doctor continues. "Can we see him?" Veronica asks, "I'm sorry. Only immediate family over 18 are allowed in the PICU." "Can we go?" I ask and the doctor nods, "But only for a moment." She explains as she walks us to his room.

We enter his room to see him asleep and tied down, my hand immediately goes to my chest, my poor baby Liam. "Why is he tied down?" Lip asks, "Seizures, honey, it was to protect him." I explain then walk closer to his bed, "You guys can touch him." The doctor says, "Is he gonna be okay?" Lip asks, gently grabbing his little hand, "Well, it's early, but cocaine overdoses aren't usually fatal. He did have several seizures and that can lead to intellectual decline." The doctor explains in a soft tone, Lip looks panicked. "Look, your little brother is a tough guy, he's strong. If I was a betting woman, my money would be on full recovery." She comforts then walks away. "Hey, buddy." I say softly to Liam, placing my hand gently on his leg, "Doctor says you're a tough guy," I slightly tease, "I knew you were, you're a Gallagher." I smile softly, "Lip and I will be right here when you get up okay?" I caress his cheek, "Pull through." I kiss his forehead, "I love you." I say then step back, "I'll give you two some space, I'll be in the waiting room." I say to Lip softly then kiss his cheek, "He's gonna be okay." I comfort and caress his cheek before walking away.