Chapter 10

*Mridula Pov*

"You are here, Mrdiula? Everyone is searching for you, but I asked them to finish their breakfast." I heard a very familiar voice, but I didn't turn around.

I am still feeling the shock knowing the truth which was hidden from me by everyone and mainly by two people whom I trust more than anyone.

"What happened, best friend?" he asked, sitting beside me on the bench in the garden.

"Am I?" I asked back before glancing at him.

"What?" he asked, frowning.

"Am I really your best friend?" I asked him again to which he laughed.

"Of course! What did you ask me that question?" he asked after stopping his laugh.

"Best friends are not allowed to hide anything from each other. I never hid anything but you hid so much from me, which relates to my whole life." I replied in a normal tone, and he suddenly looked guilty.

"I know! I should have told you everything, but mom made me promise and said Bhai will not like it two years back. And now she just didn't want you to know while I was still bound to the promise." he explained holding my hand, but I took it away.

"She is your mom, so you listened to her. He is your brother, so you tried to look out for him. I can understand." I said, looking down and hugged myself.

"Don't be like that, Mridula. I tried every time and even asked you if this is forced, then you should say no, and I will take you away from here. I even tried to give hints by asking how is the married life." He continued to talk, but I didn't feel like listening to him.

"He is her son and I am just me, so she wanted him to become happy. I can understand." I continued to talk, ignoring him and stood up from the bench.

I turned around to see her standing near to us staring at me. I stared back before walking away towards the guesthouse and didn't respond to Dileep's calls.

"Mridula!" I heard Aunty's voice when I sat on my small bed, holding the doll I brought from the village when I was a kid.

"I can understand that you want your son to be happy." I mumbled, not looking at her.

"You are saying that you understand, but I know you have lots of questions to ask me." She said sitting before me while I moved back.

"He did tell me everything! That he loves someone else, but you rejected her. And she was killed before his eyes whom he didn't forget even after two years." I mumbled looking at her.

"I know that I shouldn't have rejected without knowing her. But on that day itself that Shreya's incident happened. What else should I have done?" she asked, but I didn't have any answer for it.

"I can understand." I mumbled nodding to which she glared.

"Stop saying that and you want to know the truth, right? I will tell you the truth." She said standing up.

"I purposely hid everything from you even when you were getting married to him because I want someone to look after him, and I know that no one will do it if they know about his mad love for some girl. They would never accept that he gets nightmares and that too for seeing the death of the girl he loved and for the torture he got. I thought about only him and no one else." She added fuming, and I don't know at whom that anger is subjected.

"See? I am the most selfish woman here, and I am not sad about it. I made you his wife for his cure, and that's all I want. I want him back to be normal, which I think you can do. I am just your mother-in-law." She finished and walked away while I leaned back to the headboard.