Midnight Kisses

Pairing: Chaol Westfall x reader
Warning: angst.
Note: you are a peasant.
Requested by: no one

                                                The clock tower reached twelve, then a gong went off once, twice, thrice, and on. A young woman stood by a tavern, waiting for her lover to arrive and for her midnight kiss. The tavern beside her was alive and filled with drunken laughter.

                                                He was late. Later than usual, at least. The gong rang six times already, where was he? The woman heard rapid footsteps and panting, the woman perked up and he finally arrived. Her lover tugged his hood off then kissed her passionately.

                                                 Chaol Westfall risked coming out here every single day to kiss a peasant woman he had fallen in love with. Her father ran the tavern beside them but gave her no money to spend for herself, he only used the money to bed women and for other selfish needs and wants.

                                                   Chaol was silently sending her pouches of money to her as an anonymous sender but she caught on when Chaol kept coming to the tavern with two of his men or by himself. When the tavern was closing down, Y/n, the woman Chaol had fallen in love with, was all alone, cleaning and washing and closing up the tavern while her drunk father was taken away by two women.

                                                 Chaol stayed with her, helping her clean, wash, and close the tavern. Before he left for Rifthold, he placed a sweet kiss to her forehead then left, leaving Y/n in a slight daze. The handsome Captain of the Guard just kissed her on the forehead? Yes, it was on the forehead but it meant the world to the young woman, she forgot her father's disappearance, all she cared about was the kiss and how happy she was to get it.

                                                 Chaol started appearing more and more often, pressing kisses to her forehead, cheeks, the tip of the nose, and finally the lips after so many days. It was at midnight too, it became a thing for the two to meet up for that one kiss at midnight.

                                                   Chaol played with a small, velvet black box in his hand as he stayed on guard for the random party the king was holding. He slid the box into his pocket when Dorian strode over to him. "You've been distracted lately," Dorian told him. "Care to tell me why?" Dorian asked. "I would rather not," Chaol told Dorian. "You usually never hide things from me," Dorian told him. "I know, but this is personal. I want to keep it to myself until it's the right time to tell you."

                                                  Chaol made it to the tavern on time but he didn't see Y/n anywhere. He saw her drunk father talking to some guards that Chaol didn't recognize, they wore the same uniform as Chaol did but he never handpicked them. The guards were handing him a pouch of money giving Chaol the nasty idea of what her father did.

                                                  Chaol managed to get an explanation out of Y/n's father through force but he was heartbroken by what he had told him. A father sold his own daughter. And for what? A few gold coins? Maybe Dorian could do something, bring Y/n back, Chaol knows she would never hide something like this from him, she would never hide the secret that she can have magic.

                                                  As Chaol walked back with his head down, someone ran into him, indecently slipping a note into his hand. Chaol stopped and stared at the person then opened the note. It was from Y/n.

Chaol, my one, and only love,

Forgive me for not telling you, I was scared to tell you. I am a Demi-Fae, my mother ran from Queen Maeve years ago. How did she meet my father will forever be a question that will never be answered. My mother died giving birth to me so my father moved onto drinking from all the money he got from the tavern. He would buy multiple boxes of every alcohol available then drink most of it by the time the new batch would come in. I wrote this letter because I knew one day my father will find out about my heritage so I wrote this beforehand. Please, if you ever meet a Fae male with silver hair and green eyes, tell him all about me, tell him that I am his niece, and that I always wanted to meet him, that I am sorry that I will never meet him.

Farewell, my love

                                                   Chaol's hand dropped to his side, he was leaning against a wall while reading the note. He had fallen in love with a Demi-Fae, and she with him. Who knows what the king would do to her, he can have her executed for all he knew. Chaol's knuckles clenched. Oh, Y/n. Why did you hide this from him? He could have helped her.

Whenever it comes to Chaol, it's always sad. Well, most of the time and I can never figure out why, why do I always write depressing things for Chaol? WHY?!?!